Potential free standing stove purchase.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Deppizzymo

Feb 28, 2022
Missouri
We have a Lopi, Blaze King and Vermont Casting dealer and installer and we are trying to decide on a trouble free/low maintenance unit to heat a larger 2000 sq ft first floor area. I have been somewhat afraid to commit to a catalytic unit because I feel like they give the manufacturer a lot of control to raise prices on proprietary parts designed to need replacing after a few years. Do any of these manufacturers make non-catalytic stoves? Are they generally less maintenance/fewer failing parts? It seems like Lopi describes their "next gen fire" system in a way that sounds like it's non catalytic but it's also somewhat hard to decipher.

Thanks!

I think VC and Lopi are both non cat stoves.

Of the three listed, I'd choose the BK. CAT included. From reading throughout the threads, maintenance seems reasonable. A new cat every 3ish yrs is worth the very lengthy burn times. Not to mention heat output. 20yrs ago when I was shopping used stoves, there was a guy who sold stoves and accessories. He said to grab a BK if I could find one. He didn't sell them but had one fired up in that little rustic shop. I didn't know the difference back then. If I was to buy one stove to heat a large sq ft home, it would be a BK.

We have a Lopi, Blaze King and Vermont Casting dealer and installer and we are trying to decide on a trouble free/low maintenance unit to heat a larger 2000 sq ft first floor area. I have been somewhat afraid to commit to a catalytic unit because I feel like they give the manufacturer a lot of control to raise prices on proprietary parts designed to need replacing after a few years. Do any of these manufacturers make non-catalytic stoves? Are they generally less maintenance/fewer failing parts? It seems like Lopi describes their "next gen fire" system in a way that sounds like it's non catalytic but it's also somewhat hard to decipher.

Thanks!
The nexgen fyre is noncat.

I can't speak to those stoves specifically, but you can buy non-name-brand combusters in many shapes and sizes (mine is a pretty basic rectangle). So if a manufacturer did get punch drunk and decide to jack up their cat prices, there are alternatives, but in practice I don't think that's very likely. At least for mine, if I need a replacement in the first 3 years, they'll give me one for free (and heavily discount years 4 - 6) - I suspect that manufacturers would rather have people replace the cat when it wears out rather than run with a bad cat to try to save money and then complain about the stove not working.