Potential wood burning insert install into heatilator fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Looks great. Your fan turns off beyond the wide open setting. If it's the same as my freestander setup.
Whats up with the chimney stone offset from above and below the mantel? Seeing things?

No, it is quite crooked in the house, but straight outside. For some reason the stonework shows on only one side. Many of the fireplaces and chimneys on our rural road seem to have such 'quirks'. I have thought of either adding stone on the right, or trying to cover stone on the left, but right now want to rest and learn the insert.
Thanks for the fan advice. I discovered that and edited my post, leaving th original in case someone else is looking.
Happily exploring the insert now.....

Great job on filling in the heatilator vents.

Interesting. Same mason locally perhaps did much of the work. It all looks fine. Don't believe I'd mess with it. Enjoy your learning curve.

Looks great with the vents covered and it blends well. . How is your clearance to mantle numbers ? Is that a poured concrete pad in front ? Great looking insert much nicer than my FPX.

Looks great. Your fan turns off beyond the wide open setting. If it's the same as my freestander setup.
Whats up with the chimney stone offset from above and below the mantel? Seeing things?
We do wonder what he was drinking for lunch! But it’s lasted 70 years at least. Needs tuckpointing as usual maintenance and we had 3 feet of height added. That came in handy for the install.

Looks great with the vents covered and it blends well. . How is your clearance to mantle numbers ? Is that a poured concrete pad in front ? Great looking insert much nicer than my FPX.

Mantle clearance: BK specifies 20 inches to door flange, we have 26. hearth extension is 2 inch bluestone with micore to provide the r value. 4 extra inches beyond spec.

I obsessed with this, but so far seems like a good outcome. Importantly, wife is happy. Thanks for the compliment. Worth searching and waiting for a good installer.

Now off to try my first overnight burn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been learning by doing. Love the insert. Puts out lots of heat, enough to keep the oil burner at bay uch of the time. . Get quite long burns if one counts having sufficient embers to start a new fire (12-14 hours at least), but having less luck getting long burns if one counts temperatures with the cat in the active zone. A developing skill, but have not had the insert down to a cold start since its install on Tuesday.

BTW, if anyone with an Sirocco/Ashford 25 insert reads this, can you tell me how to find the serial number? Manual indicates its on a plate below the blower. Can one slide this out without pulling the insert or at least the lower panel? I need it for registering and the dealer has not return my calls. (Had a great install done by someone else)....

Thanks, and count me as a happy camper.

On my recent Princess Insert, there is a small plate (4x5" or so) that swings out from the bottom of the unit and is held in place by a single screw. Look along the bottom of the unit with a flashlight, trying to find a 2nd layer or side view piece of metal. Use needle nose or even a paper clip to get it to pull out.

Thanks. Am traveling and will get back soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk