Power smith ash vac question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mikkeeh

Feeling the Heat
Dec 7, 2011
NE Ohio
Just purchased this ash vac. Can someone tell me the purpose of the chain that’s screwed to the base. I have no idea......and even went so far as to read the instructions. Thx

Attachments

• 81836059-41C8-43F5-A2BC-591AE3576CA2.jpeg
    81836059-41C8-43F5-A2BC-591AE3576CA2.jpeg
    25.9 KB · Views: 155
I believe it's like a grounding strap to prevent static shock.
That was my initial thought.......but I wouldn’t thing a metal chain, attached to a plastic frame, would act as a ground.......maybe so

It is to dissipate any static electricity build-up on the plastic to prevent spark. So the first answer was correct, it is a ground with the purpose to dissipate any static build-up on the plastic. Not really an issue with the pellet stoves, but if you are using anywhere fumes might be present it could be important.

Not sure how well it dissipate static......
but works great as a wheel chock......certainly not the best design.

Anyone with a dust collector and pvc piping will say its a ground, plastic is a good insulator so static electricity can build up on its surfaces, debris rushing past a surface creates electricity thus the ground, although a very poor one on many levels. albeit I assume it is also touching the steel painted can., not a great contact, not a great ground by any means but good effort..