Powered Stair Climber Dolly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jotulburner

Sep 9, 2010
maine
I know I have seen members on Hearth.com from Maine so I thought I would ask if anyone knows where I can rent a powered stair climber Dolly in or around Portland Maine? I have seen them on line and they look slick. I have an All Nighter wood stove that needs to come out right around 550lbs. It is installed in fireplace Took off door and removed bricks but it is still very heavy on elevated hearth. I have moved a few stoves with a dolly and muscle in my time but to I'm to dam old now and my new house has way to many stairs. I went to the two box stores no luck checked Handy Man rental and Kennebec rental they have none. Any ideas would be appreciated Thanks.

Check with local HVAC shops and see if they have an Escalera stair climber they would rent you. Lots of them use them on stairs with boilers and stuff.

See if your local hearth shop will do the job for you. Those Escaleras are pretty tricky to use on stairs if you haven't done it much. Might just save your back, or a buddies life if he's under it.

Reactions: bholler
I agree we have one and they are great but can be pretty tricky till you get the hang of it.

Pay somebody to move it for you. High risk operation, specialized equipment not readily available. Just not worth the possible downside. That's my 65 y/o opinion. Rick

Reactions: webby3650
We have 4 or 5 of them around, the boss will let a do it yourselfer borrow one on occasion if they by a stove. But not one with the stairclimber, it's just too dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.

yeah when we first got ours there were quite a few scary moments till we got the hang of it

Reactions: webby3650
So that is what Glenn was upset with you about. >>

ben and glenn chimney sweeps.jpg

Reactions: Grisu and bholler
Haha nice bb out of curiosity do you know him?

Nah. I think he signed up here if I am not mistaken. When I saw that pic a while back I thought of you and him. ;lol

I just wondered he has been in the business a long time and been to lots of conventions and all yeah he signed up but isnt on much

I guess I'm missing something here?

As to the pic, in Europe they used to put small boys in harnesses and lower them in the chimney to clean it. A chit load of the kids died from lung disease.

And yes, I derailed a thread. >>

Status
Not open for further replies.