Prairie (collinear style) cap.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan on installing both a 4" flex liner and a outside air vent up thru my masonry flue. While researching the various options for the flue top termination I came across the Prairie (collinear style) cap. It looks like a really nice setup. Anyone have a problem with the exhaust mixing with the fresh air since they are in such close proximity? See attached pictures for 2 versions of the cap.

Is this the best way to go?

Anyone using this setup? If not, what are you using?

Where did you buy it?

download.jpgdownload 1.jpg

Thanks.

Any of you installers using these? If not, how are you terminating the the vent and the oak at the top of the chimney?

Thanks.

Scott.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it.

Hello

BE CAREFUL - Many colinear caps are made out of Aluminum and Only certified for Gas Appliances. Wood pellets must use steel or stainless steel to be code for exhaust and last for many years.
Olympia has many aluminum colinear caps.
We use a separate stainless steel cap for the flue exhaust and aluminum for the fresh air intake. The intake cap must also be lower than the exhaust cap so there is no smoke getting into the intake.

Last edited:
Hello

BE CAREFUL - Many colinear caps are made out of Aluminum and Only certified for Gas Appliances. Wood pellets must use steel or stainless steel to be code for exhaust and last for many years.
Olympia has many aluminum colinear caps.
We use a separate stainless steel cap for the flue exhaust and a aluminum for the fresh air intake. The intake cap must also be lower than the exhaust cap so there is no smoke getting into the intake.
You use two separate caps? How's that work? Are you voiding any warranty in the venting cap by modifying the top plate to accommodate a secondary cap? Do you just troll through my posts to offer conflicting views to everything I say on purpose? Yes, Olympia does make collinear caps from aluminum, but so does every other company. Yes, it's common in the gas world because that where the term direct vent comes from. Most "B" vent stuff if not all of it is made from aluminum, including the caps. Olympia doesn't sell direct to consumers so in going with their products hopefully there is knowledgeable person creating the order and knows the difference between solid fuel and gas materials.

Scott - This is not your post, The original poster is Rowdysdad and I am just offering advice like most people do. Aluminum venting is sold and certified for gas appliance's flue venting only, that is a fact. Fitting venting to chimneys is what certified chimney men do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.