pre 80's VC Defiant vs. # year old Englander nc13

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwikrp

Feeling the Heat
Oct 21, 2008
SE Mass
I have an 2300 sq foot area that I am heating. I am presently burning the defiant. I can get some good heat and some good burn times. I have an opportunity to get a 3 year old englander nc 13 with a rear heat shield and a magic heater installed. My question is would this move be a down grade or on upgrade? Please post your opinions

loved the old defiant growing up. Easy to operate/control and overnight burns were no problem. Defiant is probably fine for up to 2000 sqft.

The NC13 is a much smaller stove correct?

As far as the stove itself, for simplicity and ease of maintenance, I think a step up. That said, unless you're really really well insulated the stove won't heat that much house. An Englander 30NC would do it easily, but that's not the deal you've been offered - so stovewise a step up and heatwise a step down (IMHO). Good luck!

the englander website say the stove is rated for 1500 sq feet. I was wondering if the magic heat flue blower would compensate.

Sure. The chimney fire from the creosote in the Magic Heat will heat the whole block.

Pass. You'd be better off with a bigger stove sans Magic Heat.

Keep the higher quality and btu output VC Defiant!
No contest!

kwikrp said:
I have an 2300 sq foot area that I am heating.

Depends whether it's a recently built super insulated area or an older leaky house. If it's older I would pass

Status
Not open for further replies.