Pre-insulated liners...any new opinions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smoked

Feeling the Heat
Feb 19, 2015
Roanoke VA
I have read through some of the older threads here and am curious if anyone has any recent feedback on the pre-insulate flex liners. I am installing a second stove in a basement masonry fireplace. There is a 30 ish degree bend getting into the smoke chamber and of course the throat damper area to deal with so flex liners are a must. The newer pre-insulated liners seem like a win. It seems like price wise they are comparable to liners + insulation and I will not have to wrestle a 30ft dragon to get the wrap and mesh on the thing.

Chimney is only a couple of feet above the ridge of the roof and is right at it so I will be able to straddle the ridge and feed it in. Also have willing help!!! looking at a 006 inner 1/2 ins. and aluminum outer. I see you can get ss for both but don't see the need.

Anything new or anything scare you guys about these things?

I like my Magnaflex...I would use them again. I think Magnaflex is owned/sold by someone else now...I don't recall the name right now

I have been wondering myself. Haven't heard much about the pre-insulateds much in the last couple of years.

I am glad that they finally got the Magnaflex Insulflex UL tested by Warnock Hersey. A contention I had with it for a while. Something you have to remember is the pre-insulateds are 7 7/16 diameter when planning dropping it down the chimney.

I am glad that they finally got the Magnaflex Insulflex UL tested by Warnock Hersey. A contention I had with it for a while. Something you have to remember is the pre-insulateds are 7 7/16 diameter when planning dropping it down the chimney.
Yea, you can see I am still trying to figure things out. I would love to just not insulate but I love how easy my other insulated liner brushes out. Maybe with an EPA stove and nice dry wood it would not be that bad anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.