Preparing for First Fire in Englander 30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OpenWater

Hearth Supporter
Aug 30, 2009
Catskills
Hey Folks - My Englander 30 will be ready for its first fire this weekend. Can't wait! I've read tons of advice on here - awesome and helpful stuff - but I'm wondering if folks with this stove or something similar might have some specific advice.

Some background: unit is in an insulated and soon-to-be finished basement, code required OAK installed, straight chimney up through floor, through 1st floor closet, and out roof, blower installed, using hardwood that has been seasoned just over one year. This is a weekend home, so safety advice on how to leave the stove is of particular interest to me. I've got a metal bucket for mixing ashes and coals with water.

My plan is to shoot low; just one small fire this weekend to start the curing process AND the subsequent education of me. IOW, I'm at the way bottom of the learning curve here!

Appreciate any and all advice. I'll check back early next week with the results for anyone interested in reading about my loss of wood stove virginity.

Chris

OpenWater said:
I've got a metal bucket for mixing ashes and coals with water.

I would avoid this approach. Its just gonna make a huge, unnecessary mess. A quality ash bucket placed on a non flammable and secured area is all that you will need.

Other than that, sounds like you got your check list laid out pretty well. Good dry wood and all. Be aware that your gonna get some "smells" off of that stove during the first couple of fires. Be prepared to vent the area well.

Jags said:
OpenWater said:
I've got a metal bucket for mixing ashes and coals with water.
Be aware that your gonna get some "smells" off of that stove during the first couple of fires. Be prepared to vent the area well.

That's an understatement. Banish the women and children from the house, and open up all the windows. It stinks!

Didn't smell bad in the house when I broke in my 30-NC.

Attachments

• Preparing for First Fire in Englander 30
    30 break in.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 269
BrotherBart said:

I'm pretty sure that doesn't meet the 15' chimney rule. 8-/ Also, there is no MAGIC HEAT!

Pagey said:
BrotherBart said:

I'm pretty sure that doesn't meet the 15' chimney rule. 8-/ Also, there is no MAGIC HEAT!

The hard part was that leaves kept falling on it.

BrotherBart said:
Pagey said:
BrotherBart said:

The hard part was that leaves kept falling on it.

Impossible! MAGIC HEAT consumes all leaves and returns leaf combustion heat to the room!

Good stuff! As luck would have it, I'm headed up to the house on my own. Fire up the stove, watch it burn, then out the door to split. Thanks for the input and advice!

CB

OpenWater said:
Good stuff! As luck would have it, I'm headed up to the house on my own. Fire up the stove, watch it burn, then out the door to split. Thanks for the input and advice!

CB

i'd be remiss if i didnt offer the obigatory toast (i wanted one more crown tonite anyway lol) welcome to the ESW family.

did BB get you your shirt yet???? ;-P

Status
Not open for further replies.