Preseason Sales in the Maritimes?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peirhead

Feeling the Heat
Aug 8, 2008
PEI Canada
Has anyone seen any sales yet here in the Maritimes? Usually Kent has Comfy Cozy on sale for 4.99 around this time of year......I'm looking to go back to Eastern Embers if I can, but would sure like to see a sale!!

Last edited:
An excellent question. I've been keeping an eye open, and even asking around - but nothing in the Halifax area.

I tried to get a "group buy" thing for pellets going a few years ago but could not commitments. I'd take 3 pallets myself (210 bags) if the price was right.

Last year some guys on PEI got together and worked a deal with Home Hardware for a decent price, but no delivery and I need 3+ pallets delivered and placed in my garage. Home Depot has the BEST rig for doing this and only charge $40 (might be a little more this year) for delivery regardless of how many pallets.

I'm waiting for the Kent sale on the Comfy Cozy's too, last year they went on for $4.49/bag. I though it was a little later though, maybe in September. I tried lots of different pellets last season, I like the CC's best. Hoping to score 3 pallets of them.

Same here. I check pretty regularly, but no sale at Kents yet.

There are some places near Moncton, NB advertising stock on Kijiji: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-buy-sell-oth...ts/1013027933?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Outside of Halifax, there is a place on Hammonds Plains Rd that makes wood pellets out of MDF sawdust and sells for $4.00 per bag. I've never tried them because I can't seem to get a clear answer on whether it is safe to burn MDF wood pellets. I called Dept. of Environment, and they just gave me the run-around. The MSDS are not helpful either. Some say you can't burn MDF, others say you can - it seems to depend upon the manufacturer. The seller of the wood pellets says it is okay to burn them (of course), but I'm not sure he is unbiased in that opinion.

I'd try a few bags if there were available here on PEI, Id like to see any specs there are on them.

I tried them - two bags. They burn well, hot and just slightly more ash. It seems that the MDF sawdust, being really fine, presses into a solid pellet without the need for a binding agent. Good value for the money, in my view.

My big concern is the health/enviro risks associated with burning MDF. Without knowing the answer to those questions, I'm hesitant to burn more.

The smoke residue ill be exhausted outside, so there should be no health concerns...I doubt there would be any environmental issues either.

Has anyone seen any sales yet here in the Maritimes? Usually Kent has Comfy Cozy on sale for 4.99 around this time of year......I'm looking to go back to Eastern Embers if I can, but would sure like to see a sale!!

Eastern Embers seem to be the best so far. I've only had that and the Comfy Cozy's to compare to, and the Embers seem far and away to be better heat and cleaner burning. I am burning an EF3 so it may just be the stove. New to the game but already loving this thing.

Hit send too fast. I am hoping Kent does something. There is a location 5 mins from my home. I would gladly load up with even a couple of dozen bags of it just to have something on hand.

Kent's in Rothesay has a bunch of Comfy Cozy's in stock. The manager said there will be a sale in September, probably similar pricing to last year ($4.49). Don't know the exact date yet.

A couple of years ago I took the Kent sale flyer to Home depot and got the Eastern Embers for the same price...I want to try again!

I would be fine with going to Kent, but I will also be checking Wally-World and a few other places nearby. In the event they can get some good quality stuff on for even less.

Walmart at charlottetown has trebio for 5.99 too much!

We had Crabbe pellets at the Halifax Costco last year @ 4.99. They brought in 2 skids and they were gone in less than 24 hours.

I'm waiting for the Kent sale. My plan is to grab at least two skids (140 bags).

I burned about 50 bags of Crabbe last year, not a bad pellet. I'm looking to get 3 pallets of Comfy Cozy's when the sale starts. I burned just over 200 bags last year, so 3 pallets should do me for the winter. I burned some Trebios from Wally World last year too, not bad, left a funny orangeish ash in the stove though.

Great news!!

Tried to get Home Depot to match Kent's price 4.59 but they wouldn't budge, so I ordered 3 pallets of 65 bags for delivery and took 20 more bags home with me....the Comfy Cosy have worked well for me and at that price there is really no other option around here!!

I tried the same thing at Rona! They would not budge either - tried to tell me Cozys were not equivalent to Eastern Embers. So I picked up two skids of Cozys today (130 bags total) and will grab 1 more tomorrow.

With Walmart pricing Trebios at $5.63 per bag (for now at least), it seems to me that Cozys at $4.59 is about as good as it will get this year.

It looks like Kents has extended the sale on Cozy's for another week - $4.59 per bag until the 25th.

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out where I can store another skid.

The Rona flyer this week shows Ecoenergetic wood pellets on sale - 3 bags for $15.87 - or $5.29 each.

Regular price $6.19 each! Yikes!

Anyone know what WalMart is offering/carrying in Canada?