Preseason Sales in the Maritimes?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Rona has a deal on until Boxing Day at 1:00 pm - 15% off up to $450; if you spend $450 or more, the discount is 20%.

I bought a pallet of 70 bags (70 x 6.50=455), with the 20% discount = $5.19 per bag.

I'm not sure what they will be, but I suspect they will be EE because that is what my local Rona sells.

But Rona sent me an email this morning advising that my order will not be ready until Jan. 6.

I note that this week’s Home Depot flyer has EEs priced at $6.99/bag! Yikes that must be a new record high! Hopefully it’s not a sign of rising Cdn pellet prices overall.

good deal fedtime, did you get ee or some other brand?

Just got the call this morning and picked up the pellets. They are Granulco brand, 75 bags to a pallet.

There were 5 other pallets on the truck with names and phone numbers, so it appears I was not the only one to take advantage of the sale.

missedthis sale lets hope the price comes down a bit but i don't think they will . does anyone know of a dealer that sells them other than the big box stores

There is a seller in Hammonds Plains that sells pellets made from MDF sawdust. His main business is MDF trim, casing, etc, so he generates a large amount of MDF sawdust. I've never tried them, but may this year. His price is $5.50 per bag, and you can get a discount if you buy volume. He advertises on Kijiji sometimes.

From what he tells me, he has data that shows that there is no issue burning the MDF sawdust. I'll have to check that out.

Just a heads-up for anyone in the Halifax, NS area. Home Depot Bayers Lake recently raised the price of EEs from $5.98 to $7.19! Not sure if this will be typical of pricing around the area for the coming season but anyone who finds a reasonable deal might want to jump on it. Thankfully I ordered mine from HD just before the price hike.

Correction - That new HD price for EEs is $7.38/bag!

Tim, that price is holding steady from what I can see.

Wal Mart has their store brand for $6.30 a bag last time I looked a month or so ago, but they are mediocre pellets in my experience.

Anyone else seeing anything different?

Tim, that price is holding steady from what I can see.

Wal Mart has their store brand for $6.30 a bag last time I looked a month or so ago, but they are mediocre pellets in my experience.

Anyone else seeing anything different?
Warning: sticker shock!

I was in WalMart Bayers Lake earlier in the week. MacLean's wood pellets (hard wood, produced in Bolton, Ontario) are $7.98 per 40 pound bag! By far the highest price in the HRM right now. The store brand was not on the floor, so I take it the MacLean brand is replacing it.

For those in the Halifax area, I just got a pallet (70 bags) of EEs delivered from Rona this morning @ $6.39/bag. Home Depot in Bayers Lake is currently charging $7.29. I asked the guy at HD if he knew of any upcoming discounts and his reply was that the price would likely be going up!