Preseason Sales in the Maritimes?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Don't want to be negative Nelly but I burn the cheap stuff from the big box stores and only have to clean my stove every 5 days. At that point my ashbin is full. So would I spend $50 more a ton to only clean my stove every 7 or 8 days? I don't think so. Home Depot is selling 6 tons for 219 a ton. I have no place to put them now so I hope they're still available in the spring. I'm currently burning Nature's Own, and I ran into some Fireside Ultra left over from two years ago, and then I'll go to Maine pellets if I ever reach them this year.

Don't want to be negative Nelly but I burn the cheap stuff from the big box stores and only have to clean my stove every 5 days. At that point my ashbin is full. So would I spend $50 more a ton to only clean my stove every 7 or 8 days? I don't think so. Home Depot is selling 6 tons for 219 a ton. I have no place to put them now so I hope they're still available in the spring. I'm currently burning Nature's Own, and I ran into some Fireside Ultra left over from two years ago, and then I'll go to Maine pellets if I ever reach them this year.
Good point about the slightly higher maintenance vs cost trade off. Here in the Maritimes the big box stores usually charge as much (or more!) as anywhere else and it’s rare to find sales on any brand. Also we only have a few locally produced brands (Eastern Embers and Comfy Cosy in NS), so they tend to be the only ones that are occasionally discounted. It’s debatable which is better. Personally I prefer EE.

Same here. I'll burn pretty much anything and tolerate a little more cleaning. But here in Atlantic Canada, our pellet choices are narrow indeed. A few small mills have tried to make a go of it, but don't seem to last. There is one not far from me that makes pellets out of used MDF sawdust, but I'm not convinced you can burn that stuff safely and I've otherwise heard mixed reviews on the quality of the pellet. Add to that the fact that he wants the same price or more than Eastern Embers or Cozys, and I take a pass on them.

My #1 pellet of choice is the Cozys. I loaded up in the fall when they were $4.99 a bag.

Well Benjis is still out of ee hope they get some soon @ 4.99 a bag that’s hard to beat. Update on the Spruce pointe ones I bought to try out from cc. Well I must say I will not buy again for the price they want for them. Found them to be no better than cozy, same heat lots of fines in the bag and just as much ash. So from now on I’m sticking to ee.

I was at Walmart in Bayers Lake yesterday and noticed they’re now selling their own Great Value branded hardwood pellets at $5.86/bag. Anyone try these yet? The price isn’t that great but maybe they’ll go on sale from time to time.

I was at Walmart in Bayers Lake yesterday and noticed they’re now selling their own Great Value branded hardwood pellets at $5.86/bag. Anyone try these yet? The price isn’t that great but maybe they’ll go on sale from time to time.

I've seen those, but taken a pass because I bought Cozys at $5.00 per bag back in the fall. If the Walmart pellets go on sale, I'll give them a try.

I bought 20 bags of the WalMart pellets to give them a try.

My assessment: these are a mid-grade pellet. In my experience, they have more fines, more ash and generate less heat than the Cozys or EE. I estimate I'm burning them 20% faster than the Cozys to generate the same heat.

If they were on sale, I would buy them. But at $5.86 a bag, I'll pass.

Reactions: Washed-Up
What are my fellow Maritimers seeing for prices this year?

I was in Kents today and Cozys are now $6.49 per bag - a big jump from last year - but that may come down once WalMart sets its price.

Haven’t seen anything on sale yet this year. Hopefully Kent will have cozy on sale soon. The last time I was in to Benjie bargains they said they would not be carrying pellets any more. If that is so it will be to bad because they had the best price on ee anywhere. .

Kents has the Cozys on for $6.00 per bag this week, regular $6.50. That is a big jump from last year when Cozys were $5.00 per bag on sale.

I really like wood pellet stoves and heat, but $6.00 per bag is too expensive for me. At that price, I'll only buy a few bags to burn on the really cold days in January and February.

Any chance we can kill this thread? It was started in 2014 and getting "a little long in the tooth."

Kent has Comfy Cozy on for $5.99. They also have 15% off online orders today only. I ordered 3 pallets online, works out to about $5.10 per bag.

Thanks for the information. I would have missed that sale! $5.10 per bag is a good price, the lowest I've seen so far this year.

Walmart is carrying their "store brand" of wood pellets again, called "Great Value". The price is unchanged from last year at $5.89. In my view, Cozys are far superior in quality.

ok folks hoping someone in the halifax area knows of a deal on pellets this heating season. not sure if benjis is going to sell pellets this year cozys and ee are selling for 6,50 per bags on deal there

ok folks hoping someone in the halifax area knows of a deal on pellets this heating season. not sure if benjis is going to sell pellets this year cozys and ee are selling for 6,50 per bags on deal there
I was just in Wally Mart last week. They are now carrying a hardwood pellet under the store-brand name. These are different than the soft woods they carried in the past.

The hardwoods are priced at $5.86 per bag - the best price I've seen so far.

So I have been burning the WalMart hard wood pellets on colder days. They seem to have fewer fines than the softwoods from last year and burn a little cleaner.

At $5.86 per bag, it is my pellet of choice this year. But I'll be on the look-out for a boxing day sale.

So I have been burning the WalMart hard wood pellets on colder days. They seem to have fewer fines than the softwoods from last year and burn a little cleaner.

At $5.86 per bag, it is my pellet of choice this year. But I'll be on the look-out for a boxing day sale.
Not a bad price compared to everything else here in hrm. Anyone hear if benjs is selling pellets this year? I got a decent deal from ct on Thursday with the promo 50$ gift card when you spend 200$.

I’m still getting my EEs from Rona when they have their 15% off weekend sales. Their regular price is now $6.49 but the sale price is $5.52.

Reactions: Rascal08