Price of fuel oil in your part of the world?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Average is $4 now, but I've seen $4.50.

Bought 1750 galls 3 years ago.
Bought 1010 galls 2 years ago.
Bought 515 galls last year.

This year ? Zero.
Hello oil independance !

Reactions: The Ds and Ashful
Bought 1750 galls 3 years ago.
Bought 1010 galls 2 years ago.
Bought 515 galls last year.

This year ? Zero.
Hello oil independance !
Wow... it CAN be done! I've seen a lot of folks here claim they've gone completely oil-free, but that's not much of a feat, when your oil usage was 700-800 gallons pet year. You're the first I've seen, who has done it, and used in my sort of quantities.

Down by 1200 gallons already? Please let us know how this year goes.

Last edited:
$3.34. I filled up at $3.16 a couple of months ago. Should be good till next year.

Wow... it CAN be done! I've seen a lot of folks here claim they've gone completely oil-free, but that's not much of a feat, when your oil usage was 700-800 gallons pet year. You're the first I've seen, who has done it, and used in my sort of quantities.

Down by 1200 gallons already? Please let us know how this year goes.

I think in reality that we are down to about 100/150 galls per year. If we go away for the weekend, we leave the oil on to keep the chill off. I still have circa 100 galls in the tank so I won't be buying any oil this year but maybe a little in early 2014.
The secret is Insulation, Insulation, Insulation. Plus a large pellet stove, a lot of wood and a HPWH.

Insulation is no option here, without really ruining the house. We have original 1773 plaster on stone walls, and anyone willing to cover that - after it's been repaired and preserved at great expense by so many previous owners - should be hauled out shot, IMO. With 9 exterior doors and more than 60 exterior windows, I don't think our primary enemy is wall insulation, anyway. So, we're doing what we can to improve weather stripping and sealing around doors and windows, about half of which are original 1770's, and the other half new.

A pellet stove would certainly help, but I dislike the concept of replacing a fuel with fairly stable prices and currently-limitless supply, with another I have to go buy, haul, and worry about finding mid-winter. A wood stove satisfied me in many ways, so I simply installed two of them. Not for everyone, I know, but...

Insulation is no option here, without really ruining the house. We have original 1773 plaster on stone walls, and anyone willing to cover that - after it's been repaired and preserved at great expense by so many previous owners - should be hauled out shot, IMO. With 9 exterior doors and more than 60 exterior windows, I don't think our primary enemy is wall insulation, anyway. So, we're doing what we can to improve weather stripping and sealing around doors and windows, about half of which are original 1770's, and the other half new.

A pellet stove would certainly help, but I dislike the concept of replacing a fuel with fairly stable prices and currently-limitless supply, with another I have to go buy, haul, and worry about finding mid-winter. A wood stove satisfied me in many ways, so I simply installed two of them. Not for everyone, I know, but...

Our house is 1815 Federal, National Historic Register, 4200 sq ft, so similar issues. The big savers were interior storm windows and relentless attention to detail on heat losses over 3 years.
I buy several tons of pellets in April when the prices are low so am unlikely to run out in mid winter.
What we have done is replace the ease and convenience of oil with a lot of labor (wood preparation and pellet loading).
To each his own...

To get back on topic, $3.25 a gall around here.

:)price of fuel is also poop to me have not bought any in 2 plus years i love my enviro maxx

$3.35 when I saw a sign Thursday, seems to be going up 5-7c a week lately. Hopefully it stops for those folk stuck with oil.

Such a happy day when I watched them haul the pig out of the basement along with its two babies ( oil tanks )..

Status
Not open for further replies.