Pricing a Harman Accentra 52i in Ohio

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Roger L

Dec 21, 2019
Shreve Ohio
I’ve got a quote supposedly on the high end for a new 52i insert in Majolica Brown for almost $8800.00 and was wondering if this was a expected price range for this appliance. I was going over the quote, and it looks like a lot of the prices for the piping are pretty high in my opinion. I’d really like to get this stove, but almost nine grand seems a little steep. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Im sure the custom color adds quite a bit. A typical install is around $6000 I think

Reactions: minux
Im sure the custom color adds quite a bit. A typical install is around $6000 I think

*sic* If I knew I could get $8.8K installing inserts 5 x / week, I would have gone into the pellet business... Start recommending pellet stoves over medical school...

Also is it going in a masonry fireplace or does a zero clearance box have to be installed? Alot of variables with the limited info you provided... Post what is or is not included in the price

Hello, it’s going to need the zero clearance box for sure. I’ve got the gas line unhooked to the gas fireplace already. I was thinking more in the line of the $6000.00 range myself. I’d thought the pipping was outrageously priced. I’d sent a picture of the bill breakdown. I’ll send it again. Almost $8800.00 is just to much.

Attachments

• 09302B70-EB12-4B7E-9789-33EED5EFDB76.jpeg
    09302B70-EB12-4B7E-9789-33EED5EFDB76.jpeg
    210.6 KB · Views: 284
Too many zeros on the end of the price would have killed it for me!

Have you considered installing a free standing wood stove? I'm not sure of wood availability in your area but given you mentioned earlier that this will not be your primary heat source, perhaps a good new or used wood stove is the way to go. They're far cheaper and much easier to maintain.

Pellet stoves are a pain in their own way and do need constant cleaning and maintenance. Buying, storing, and adding pellets to your stove does all add up in terms of work needed. Not to mention, every pellet stove creates significant ambient noise that a wood stove does not.

Storing 5, 10, 15 chords of wood is also certainly work too, but if you have the ability to buy it already processed and delivered to your door (as I do here in upstate, NY), it's way more feasible than you might think. Plus, since it's wood and if burned efficiently and properly, it'll throw that wonderful thermal heat even better than a pellet stove. Especially the newer stoves that burn ultra efficiently via gasification.

A wood stove can be somewhat harder to manage the heat level throughout the day/night, but once you find the sweet spot and learn your stoves capabilities, they are far quieter and an easier stove to manage than most every pellet stove.....And by the way, I have a Harman P61A pellet stove I use as my main heat source so I know of what I speak.

Looks like a service rail kit is included. The pipe is expensive for the good stuff. That is a big job to install. Demo a gas fireplace and install a ZC box and stove includes all pipe, outside air kit, Service rail kit, Porcelain brown color. I see where that all drives price up. The $6000 would be for a black stove in a single story masonry fireplace with a flex liner. Installer is starting with less than nothing because he has to demo the gas unit 1st. Then see what he has to work with. If you are looking to save money without sacrificing quality go with a free standing and go thru the wall. The itemized cost dont look out of line. You could save well over $3000 going thru the wall w/ a P43 I would guess....

If You are getting the Harman outside air then you need a 3” Outside Air Kit. I do not see that in your quote. What is up with that??

It looks to be there. Line 2 is the outside air kit for stove then line 5 is the pass thru box with outside air included. just need duct for stove to box.

It looks to be there. Line 2 is the outside air kit for stove then line 5 is the pass thru box with outside air included. just need duct for stove to box.
Line 2 is the special internal air adapter that connects the air inlet pipe where the flapper valve is to the frame that resides in the fireplace.
Line 5 looks like the OAK kit but it must have a 3” flex hose to connect to the frame. You may want to make sure.

Every install is different. I paid $5150 this yr for Harman accentra 52i tc insert with larger hopper. Installation of unit, reducer coupling to connect 1 yr old ss liner.

The 52i looks overpriced from the get go, link above is for 4900. I get overhead but if you're paying for the install and labor, you'd think they'd cut some cost. I'd bet "thestovecenter" is still making a few dollars.
I'd agree with RickWai and get a free standing if possible. I installed my own stove with some help from friends. P68 pricing in the second link.

For that kind of money, I would remove the fireplace and install a free-standing
If you are at all handy install it yourself. It would cost considerably less
That's what I did.

I’ve got a quote supposedly on the high end for a new 52i insert in Majolica Brown for almost $8800.00 and was wondering if this was a expected price range for this appliance. I was going over the quote, and it looks like a lot of the prices for the piping are pretty high in my opinion. I’d really like to get this stove, but almost nine grand seems a little steep. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
I have this same stove installed for $5200 , it included everything in the install that is needed plus oak and a stainless chimney cover to prevent water damage. Shop around never get just one estimate.

Thanks to all for your comments. We’re going to get another estimate when we find the time. There’s others out there that sell these, just a matter of finding them. We’ll eventually get this figured out. Until then thanks to all.

Check to see if there is a factory rebate/discount available. I think there is. But still will only lower by a couple hundred. If you go with standard black and dont include rail kit that will save approx $800. When demo of a existing unit is involved it is hard to give a firm cost. It did say worst case. May not need the ZC box.