Primary heat source questions from woodstove newbie

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

prairyD

Dec 26, 2015
Rhode Island
I have been diving into this forum once again (I heavily relied on the forums years ago when I first installed a pellet stove) while trying to determine what woodstove would work the best as my primary heat source now that I am ready to move away from the pellet stove. I have a 1400 sq ft 1940's cape in Rhode Island and the stove would be my primary source of heat. Since the house is small having reducing clearance is very desirable (advice is most welcome on this point). I am thinking that I want CAT stove since I am relying it for my sole source of heat and something that has around 80000 BTU. I'd like something fairly simple to operate which drew my attention to Blaze King, however I am have read many comments from people have issues with odor. I don't know enough to guess if an odor issue is due to installation or if this is just a characteristic of the brand. I've liked what I've read about the Mansfield from Hearthstone but that is most likely cost prohibitive though I'd be interested to know from those who have invested in Hearthstone if the purchase has proved worth the expense. Now I am looking at the Regency Cascade and teetering on research burnout.

Other details that may be relevant are as follows; the stove will not be centrally located in the home but the house is small with stairs in the center. There is no chimney to pipe into so I hope to swap out the pellet for the wood stove, recognizing I will need different shielding and chimney. This location is in the front corner of the house and the stove pipe can either go out through the wall and up or straight up through the eave and roof. The basement is probably not a great area for installation as it is very drafty and where I keep canned goods. I would welcome your recommendations for a stove that would work most efficiently in this scenario as well as any input on issues I am overlooking. Thanks a bunch!

What is your total budget?

A 2 cu ft stove should cover your needs. There are many to choose from. Given the costs of chimney pipe these days, the flue system could meet or exceed the cost of the stove. Prioritizing critical needs will make a decision easier. If it comes down to the cost, a Drolet 1800 or a True North TN20 will get the job done for years to come. In mid-grade non-cat, the Regency 2450, Osburn 1700, Jotul F45, Quadrafire 3100 Millenium, PE Super, or Lopi Endeavor are all good choices. In cat stoves, there are the Kuma Aspen, Blaze King Sirocco, and the Woodstock Fireview or Palladian/Keystone. Then, there are the new crop of hybrids from Regency and Hearthstone.

Reactions: VintageGal
Is the tax credit important?

Is the tax credit important?
That should be balanced on the list of priorities. Some others are:
Firebox configuration (E/W or N/S)
Clearances
Cost
Heat output
Reload frequency
Aesthetics
Serviceability

Reactions: EbS-P
A 2 cu ft stove should cover your needs. There are many to choose from. Given the costs of chimney pipe these days, the flue system could meet or exceed the cost of the stove. Prioritizing critical needs will make a decision easier. If it comes down to the cost, a Drolet 1800 or a True North TN20 will get the job done for years to come. In mid-grade non-cat, the Regency 2450, Osburn 1700, Jotul F45, Quadrafire 3100 Millenium, PE Super, or Lopi Endeavor are all good choices. In cat stoves, there are the Kuma Aspen, Blaze King Sirocco, and the Woodstock Fireview or Palladian/Keystone. Then, there are the new crop of hybrids from Regency and Hearthstone.
Taking notes! Thank you!

$5000 should be doable with the Drolet or True North stoves.
The tax credit is on the entire installation. It's 26% for a stove installed this year. This is a credit, not a rebate, so one has to have the need for a credit on income tax. This year it can be carried over if the full credit is not taken. That is not an option starting in 2023. If the credit works for you then the Blaze King Sirocco, Lopi Evergreen & Rockport, and Hearthstone Greenmountain 60 are in the appropriate size range

I'd like to keep the entire project under 5000 but as I see how much the costs of stoves and piping has gone up substantially I am not so confident I can get what I'd like within my budget.
Going to be challenge to get a stove and a professional install for 5k or less unless you go with a value line stove. I don’t know your market though. Drolet 1800 is tax credit eligible. I shopped for two years and really think it is the best value on the market now. And it’s in stock!

It’s not the best looker. It’s as basic as it gets. 7” corner clearance. If I had my choice and bugget and availability wasn’t a factor. Blaze king Ashford or a PE T5 orT6.

Do you have dry wood for this winter?

I could never spend that on a stove, but to each their own. I agree that the flue will kill the budget fast, if the stove doesnt. BUT, youll save money on heat, big time, so its worth it if you can swing it, go for it.

If you find your own wood it can save a lot of money. If you have to buy it, the savings can really get eaten into.

4 cords of wood at a seasonal $300/cord is $1200. That buys an awful lot of oil/propane/natural gas.

Put yourself a couple years ahead in wood and it’s years before you notice savings.

A 1940s cape may have a lot of really cheap and effective upgrades with insulation that can be done to make the stove purchase ore effective. Insulation and air sealing around the sill plate/rim joist will make a huge difference. Then a look at the ceiling, and finally the walls.

There’s an immediate payback too.

If you buy your wood now and let it dry while you get the insulation done, you’ll have a much better wood burning experience.

This year we finally got a stove after wanting one for more than a decade! We went for the Craftsbury model by Hearthstone. So far we have about 2 weeks of sporadic burns in, and we love it a lot. Seems like a super quality stove. With the blower our stove was approaching $4,000. Our house is also about 1,400 sq ft, and for that size it seems just right. 20221026_174451.jpg

Reactions: Pattonky
I have a Hearthstone Heritage. While I love the soft soapstone heat, it is not a good choice for a primary heat source. You'll get much more bang for your buck with a cast iron stove.

My main question is how the OP reached the number of needing 80,000 BTUs.
That seems very high.

If the (not very large) home is that drafty that it needs this amount of heat, then sealing and insulating will give a lot of bang for your buck.

So, is that 80,000 based on the output of your pellet stove? If so, was that the maximum output the pellet stove was capable of? (I have no knowledge of pellet stoves, so I'm not even sure that there are pellet stoves that can go this high?)
Did your pellet stove have to run (burn) *continuously* (at that output)?

Often, one has to make a choice between having a stove that can handle the coldest few days of winter OR a stove that can easily handle the many shoulder season days, but might need some help during the coldest days.

While in larger stoves, you can make smaller fires with multiple cold starts, if you're not home (work), that might be an issue if this is your primary source of heat.

Even if you have a stove that can't give all that's needed at the few coldest days, if you get the home up to e.g. 60 F with the wood stove, and add the last 8 F or so by conventional oil heat, you'll be saving a lot of money on the oil because you start using the oil from a much higher base temperature - and you have a steady inside temperature (because of the thermostat on the oil heat).

Or, you could go large with the stove and e.g. add a minisplit system for shoulder season heating - those are very efficient, especially at outside temps above 40 F, even at "north-east electricity prices". (Or use the oil at the shoulder seasons, as it'll be easier to modulate to a lower heat output - and will not use that much because the heating needs are less at shoulder seasons. Still saving a lot on oil.)

Getting the right stove for *all* heating demands, likely either requires you to be home as it entails many reloads (because of smaller load/fires) or many cold starts for most stoves, or it requires a stove with a large turn-down capability, but those are generally pricier.

Basically, I'm saying: 80,000?!
And: what do you want in regards to mid-winter vs shoulder season heating. "Primary" heat suggests there is a secondary heat option?

I've never fooled with pellets but I thought the chimney would be the same. If you can't use the chimney you have I'd invest in the chimney and maybe a used stove to start with. If you don't have wood already that will be a challenge. Woodstoves are messier than pellets if that's a consideration.

I have a Hearthstone Heritage. While I love the soft soapstone heat, it is not a good choice for a primary heat source. You'll get much more bang for your buck with a cast iron stove.
Or steel.

He was talking about bang for the buck. Stone is expensive. Steel isn’t as expensive.

But the thermal mass does take longer to heat up… and cool down on the other side. I’d consider that a wash. You do see more than a few posts of cracks developing, so there is a durability issue vs other stove materials such as steel.

Why isn't soapstone a good choice for primary heat? Because it takes a while to heat up?
They tend to crack because Hearthstone stoves only have one stone layer and perhaps the quality of soapstone is declining. Woodstock soapstone stoves have an inner and outer layer which helps with their longevity. They do take a bit longer to heat up, but folks like their softer heat output. A cast iron jacketed steel stove has the same effect.

Why isn't soapstone a good choice for primary heat? Because it takes a while to heat up?
Honestly, I'm not sure why I made that comment. I think I wrote it before I lit up for the first time this year. Now that my stove is lit, I really can't imagine having a steel or cast iron stove on a main level. I think I'd blow myself right out of the room with the heat those things throw. I see you plan on placing your stove on the main floor in a corner, so you will be spending time in the room where the stove will be? If so, maybe the even heat of the soapstone might work for you despite the much higher price and shorter burn times.

While I can't attest to begreen's comment about quality since I have an older Heritage that has yet to experience any cracks or problems in general, While my stove has pretty pathetic burn times, the soapstone holds and continues to throw heat for hours after the last coals are out. I can load the stove at 11:00, go to bed and the soapstone is still about 150 degrees when I get up around 8:00. My stove is admittedly too small for what I'm asking of it. It's in the basement of my 1200 sq ft raised ranch. I can get the main floor up to about 68 before I go to bed on all but the coldest nights and I hear the oil boiler come on around 5:30 when the temp drops back to 63. (yes I like a colder house) Regardless, it's an easy reload in the morning to get the fire going again. I do love that stove, but wonder if I would switch to something with longer burn times if I ever moved. I do know the Hearthstone stoves need tall chimney's for proper draft. I think the recommended height for my Heritage is 18'. If your stove will be in a corner where the roof line is low, that might not work.

I have seen a few Woodstock Soapstone stoves in action, and they are lovely. Very long burn times with the cat. The downside and reason I don't own one is, their clearance to combustibles is ridiculous. I think it has to be 24" from walls and combustibles (don't quote me on that) which pretty much has is sticking well out into the room.
fire.jpg

Last edited:
This year we finally got a stove after wanting one for more than a decade! We went for the Craftsbury model by Hearthstone. So far we have about 2 weeks of sporadic burns in, and we love it a lot. Seems like a super quality stove. With the blower our stove was approaching $4,000. Our house is also about 1,400 sq ft, and for that size it seems just right. View attachment 301886
Do you think I could have a similar set up on the corner - where this little cabinet is and have the double pipe exit next to window?? With a craftsbury?? Pardon my bad drawing haha

974D2939-77D2-413C-859D-9F045FC27793.jpeg 02026DCD-6722-4D06-971E-76321ED69033.jpeg

Do you think I could have a similar set up on the corner - where this little cabinet is and have the double pipe exit next to window?? With a craftsbury?? Pardon my bad drawing haha

View attachment 305067 View attachment 305068
Sure. Why not get a WETT certified installer in there to tell you what you can do. Pics and drawings for an online site may not give you all the info you need. A steel stove will fit right in there I bet.

Reactions: 1kzwoman
Sure. Why not get a WETT certified installer in there to tell you what you can do. Pics and drawings for an online site may not give you all the info you need. A steel stove will fit right in there I bet.
Right on, thanks for the reply. I definitely wanted it done safely and proper.

Reactions: 1kzwoman