Probably a dumb question about electric hook-up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kh395269

Mar 27, 2008
CT
Hi, I just received my stove today, but I still have not opened it. My husband asked me if we are going to be able to plug this stove in , or are we going to need to hard wire it. I said I honestly don't know. Can someone let us know? I have outlets at knee level on both sides of the fireplace. Hopefully that will work without looking ridiculous.

Either way will work, most stoves ship with a plug-in cord. If appearances are an issue, some folks have had luck running the power thru the ash clean-out of the fireplace (if you have one) to the basement, not sure on electrical code or if your stove is even on the main level? An insert looks funny to me if it has plug-in cord going to the nearest outlet, try and hide that if you can imho. Are you installing or is an installer doing it?

Make sure you use some type of surge protector.

Eric

Thanks Guys. Very true that I don't want some ridiculous looking cord sticking out. Will see what we can do with the ash dump if possible. The surge protector is also a good idea.

Not only a good idea but something that will save a $250 board or board plus motor.

Eric

Some codes specify permanent wiring and a safety switch for motors such as used in a garage door opener, while others specifically prohibit such installations and require a plug and receptacle in lieu of permanent wiring. I don't know of any state or local requirement that would require you to permanently wire your stove.

As far as using the ash dump, be careful how you propose doing that. A permanently installed extension cord in an inaccessible location is almost certain to be prohibited. On the other hand suitable wiring from a junction box that terminates in a receptacle near the stove is probably OK.

I agree that hiding the wiring to the extent possible is aesthetically pleasing.

Status
Not open for further replies.