Probes - VC Encore First Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

frased

Apr 1, 2018
MA
I’ll be firing up my new Encore this week for the first time.

Should I not be firing it without the cat probe installed? I’m going to get to AT 100 recommended by some of you guys. And 6 inch cat probe.

Is there a probe for the flue temperature as well? I’d like to install the cat probe AND flue probe on the rear side of the stove. Do you guys know what I need? Any adapters?

I do already have my griddle top temp gauge for the desired 500 degree mark to close damper and air control.

Don’t want to damage new stove I can wait a few more days.

Last edited:
You can get the break-in fires done now. You are not going to damage the cat if there is no probe as long as you follow directions. Using the griddle thermometer will help you monitor what is happening.