Problem: Auger not turning, Jamestown JT2001T serial # WH12634 purchased October 1991.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bud755

Feb 15, 2022
Delaware
Problem: Auger not turning, Jamestown JT2001T serial # WH12634 purchased October 1991. (fireplace-insert style)

Event: Fire was burning well but suddenly went out. No pellets in firepot.

History: Combustion motor and C880 electronic control board are 10 years old. Otherwise, all components are original as far as I know, including auger motor. (I’m second owner - have owned it about 25 years.)

Troubleshooting:
  • Removed pellets from hopper, no obvious auger jam observed.
  • Cannot turn auger by hand (could be broken motor gears I guess?)
  • Auger motor does not appear to be running but not 100% certain
  • Turned stove on, hit start switch, green light on, turned timer but auger does not turn.
  • C880 board has one fuse – fuse is good.
  • No high limit reset switch found – two yellow wires lead to what appears to be a temperature sensor at the front (near the blower speed control).
  • Vacuum switch rubber hose looks good and both ends are connected.
  • Auger cutoff switch is not in contact with plunger that appears would shut off auger motor in case of a jam.
  • Auger motor label a bit tough to read, look like: “EGM 5817 120 V 7/93 60HZ 1RPM ,55AMP MOD734 Impedance Protected”
Questions:
  • Before I purchase a new auger motor, I’d like to troubleshoot by bypassing some of the safety devices (high temperature switch, vacuum pressure switch, auger motor jam cut-off switch) to see if the auger motor will run. Do I simply unplug the wires from each safety device (one at a time) and use a jumper wire to connect the two wires, thereby bypassing the device? I would plan to test each device separately, one at a time.
  • Also, anyone know the gasket size to use for the base the firepot sits on? Mine’s pretty worn.
Many thanks!

Bud Heberling

Harrington, Delaware

That auger motor runs on 120VAC and is simple to test. Unplug the leads to it and plug it directly in to 110 wall outlet. Simple to modify an old vacuum cleaner cord or similar by crimping two female spade connector to the end opposite to the end that has the plug that plugs into the wall socket. Doesn't matter the polarization.

Plugged into the wall socket, auger motor should spin continuously at 1 RPM.

Try that and report back.

That auger motor runs on 120VAC and is simple to test. Unplug the leads to it and plug it directly in to 110 wall outlet. Simple to modify an old vacuum cleaner cord or similar by crimping two female spade connector to the end opposite to the end that has the plug that plugs into the wall socket. Doesn't matter the polarization.

Plugged into the wall socket, auger motor should spin continuously at 1 RPM.

Try that and report back.
Thanks!

I jumped the vacuum switch and several of the temperature sensors (all one-at-a-time) and the auger failed to run. Then I connected the auger motor to an electrical wire I made up and the motor still did not run. I've now ordered a new auger motor from Earth Sense Energy. While I wait for the new part, I plan to thoroughly clean the stove and have my chimney cleaned.

Also, anyone know the gasket size to use for the base the firepot sits on?
Mine’s pretty worn.

Can you attach a photo? If it's similar to the one I had, it's a wood stove simple rope gasket that should be widely available off a bulk roll at a well-stocked HW store. I want to say 1/2" dia., which is of course wider than the groove on the top lip of the burn pot housing chamber, but you pre-stretch the rope gasket which reduces its diameter just enough allowing a tight stuff fit into the groove.