Problem with Heat n Glo Intellifire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hifi_hound

Nov 14, 2016
Northern California
I'm hoping to get some help diagnosing some issues with my Heat n Glo Escape 36-DV. My wall control is the WSK-MLT. I'm having issues with it intermittently not starting, and also with it going out after a few minutes. When I use the rocker switch inside the unit along with the batteries to start the fireplace it starts immediately and continues without going out. This would seem to point to the wall switch or it's control unit as the problem. I can buy a complete new switch and control unit, or just buy the control unit separately for half as much. Can anyone help with this decision or shed some light as to what other possible part could be a fault? Could it also be the module that is problematic? Would the WSK-MLT control unit be the more likely culprit, or should I replace the wall unit as well? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I will research this later at work, but have you checked all wiring connections?
Have you done a continuity check on the wires between the wall control & the unit?

One other thing to check: Make sure you have adequate AC voltage to power the control box.
If you don't have 120vac & are getting more like 115vac, that might cause the issue.
If you have good voltage, the AC side of the control box may have a short.

Thanks for your help Daksy. I did check all the wiring and reconnected/tightened several spade connections. I have not done a continuity test on the wires to the wall control. The fireplace was installed 8 or 9 years ago, and has been working perfectly so I figured the wiring should be good. I will check it out though. I did check to see that I was getting 3v coming out of the control box to start the fire, and it was fine. I did not check the voltage at the outlet, but when I use the bypass switch to start the pilot, I am using the wall switch to turn on the main burner. Under this scenario the flame stays lit and works fine. so, I am running on the same AC outlet when I use the bypass switch.

I can't figure out why it stays lit with the rocker switch and not when started from the wall switch. The only thing I can think of is that somehow the pilot or a sensor it not getting the proper voltage to keep the flame burning when started from the wall switch. This same issue is causing the intermittent start problem from the wall switch. By using the rocker switch, this somehow bypasses the voltage issue and allows the pilot and burner to operate correctly. I've looked at the wiring schematics and can't really figure out why this voltage would be different when using the rocker switch. I'm thinking something in the control box is causing the issue.

One other thing I noticed is that the "F" symbol in the upper right hand corner of my wall control is flashing. According to the manual it flashes when it is in thermostat mode. I have turned the thermostat mode on and off via the control and it continues to flash. I wonder if the wall control is broken and the thermostat keeps turning off or preventing the fireplace from burning. I've tried turning the temperature way up to see if that would force it to stay on, but it still goes out. Maybe the thermostat is bad which would explain why everything works when using the rocker switch. I'm assuming the rocker switch takes the thermostat out of the equation.

One other thing I noticed is that the "F" symbol in the upper right hand corner of my wall control is flashing. According to the manual it flashes when it is in thermostat mode. I have turned the thermostat mode on and off via the control and it continues to flash. I wonder if the wall control is broken and the thermostat keeps turning off or preventing the fireplace from burning. I've tried turning the temperature way up to see if that would force it to stay on, but it still goes out. Maybe the thermostat is bad which would explain why everything works when using the rocker switch. I'm assuming the rocker switch takes the thermostat out of the equation.

Yes, the Tech switch overrides the WSK-MLT

So in your opinion do you think the wall switch is the likely culprit? I can buy the whole wsk-mlt kit or just the wall switch or control unit separately. I'm trying to make an educated guess as to which is the more likely problem. I'm leaning toward the switch because of the flashing F in the upper right hand corner that I cannot get to stop flashing. I thought I read somewhere that the flashing F had to do with setting the thermostat or something to that effect, but now I can't seem to find that information in any of the manuals.

Not sure. If the AC side of the control box is bad, then that could be the culprit.
I can't seem to locate any specific trouble shooting info on the multi-function switch.
I'd hate to see you throwing money at both, but after 9 years, that might be the answer.

Thanks again for your help Daksy. I finally found the remote troubleshooting PDF that mentioned the flashing "F". http://aplusair.ca/wp-content/uploads/Remote-trouble-shooting.pdf It claims that the Fahrenheit symbol only flashes in automatic thermostat mode. My wall control seems to be stuck in thermostat mode. I can push the button to change from automatic to manual and the LCD indicates that it is either on or off, but the "F" symbol continues to flash either way. I'm thinking there is a problem with the thermostat, so I'm going to try replacing the wall switch first. I'm really no worse off if I buy them separately anyway as the price is about the same as buying the kit. The kit also includes the flame solenoid, but I don't see that as the issue.

I'll give it a shot, but I had the control box unplugged at one point for 5 or 10 minutes which cut the power to the switch as well. I would have thought that would have reset it though.

As I suspected, resetting the switch didn't fix the flashing "F". It seems to be stuck in thermostat mode and is not functioning correctly. I went ahead and ordered the whole switch and control box just to be safe. Thanks for your help. I'll let you know if this solves the problem.

Reactions: DAKSY
As I suspected, resetting the switch didn't fix the flashing "F". It seems to be stuck in thermostat mode and is not functioning correctly. I went ahead and ordered the whole switch and control box just to be safe. Thanks for your help. I'll let you know if this solves the problem.

Inquiring minds want to know! What happened? I've exactly the same problem on an Elite-44 fireplace! That said, I upped the set point on the wall control unit to 80 but the fireplace still cuts out - so not so sure its actually stuck on Thermostatic mode.

I'm an electrical engineer and have been monitoring the various voltages. My suspicion right now is that the 3V power supply is going bad, and therefore using the battery is masking that problem.

Inquiring minds want to know! What happened? I've exactly the same problem on an Elite-44 fireplace! That said, I upped the set point on the wall control unit to 80 but the fireplace still cuts out - so not so sure its actually stuck on Thermostatic mode.

I'm an electrical engineer and have been monitoring the various voltages. My suspicion right now is that the 3V power supply is going bad, and therefore using the battery is masking that problem.

In my case I decided to replace the entire control unit which comes with the wall switch. That fixed my problem. That said, the small "F" is still flashing. It always flashes whether in thermostat mode or not. I've tried to see if it goes out once the fireplace reaches temperature and shuts down, but it does not. I'm not sure why it flashes all the time, maybe it's supposed to. In any case the new control unit/switch fixed my problem.

In my case I decided to replace the entire control unit which comes with the wall switch. That fixed my problem. That said, the small "F" is still flashing. It always flashes whether in thermostat mode or not. I've tried to see if it goes out once the fireplace reaches temperature and shuts down, but it does not. I'm not sure why it flashes all the time, maybe it's supposed to. In any case the new control unit/switch fixed my problem.

Ha! My F has always flashed too - as long as I can remember. A couple of questions:

- assuming you replaced the control unit yourself - were you able to do that just working from the inside of the fireplace, or did you have to go to the outside of it? [My unit is buried in a chase which will be difficult to get to.]

- do you have the old pieces? If so would you be interested in selling them? [I really suspect the power supply, if I could see a circuit board I could determine if its possible to repair related parts or if its hopeless.]

I'm an electrical engineer, and if I could just get schematics I'd be in a really good place, but not having any luck finding them online. Right now I'm hoping to finish out the Winter just using the batteries as you did - don't want to start major surgery before Spring.

In closing, I really appreciate your responding here - your post is the ONLY such post I've found in weeks of searching with exactly my problem!

David

Ha! My F has always flashed too - as long as I can remember. A couple of questions:

- assuming you replaced the control unit yourself - were you able to do that just working from the inside of the fireplace, or did you have to go to the outside of it? [My unit is buried in a chase which will be difficult to get to.]

- do you have the old pieces? If so would you be interested in selling them? [I really suspect the power supply, if I could see a circuit board I could determine if its possible to repair related parts or if its hopeless.]

I'm an electrical engineer, and if I could just get schematics I'd be in a really good place, but not having any luck finding them online. Right now I'm hoping to finish out the Winter just using the batteries as you did - don't want to start major surgery before Spring.

In closing, I really appreciate your responding here - your post is the ONLY such post I've found in weeks of searching with exactly my problem!

David

What fireplace do you have? You mention Elite-44, is that a Heat-n-Glo product? I'm not finding it. Are you using the same WSK-MLT control unit and switch? I can access my control unit from the front of the fireplace. It has a removable side panel. A lot of units are accessible from the front with the controls being under the firebox from what I have seen. I don't know if I still have my old control unit. I probably threw it out, but I can check later. From what I recall, there is no separate power supply, it is internal in the control unit.

What fireplace do you have? You mention Elite-44, is that a Heat-n-Glo product? I'm not finding it. Are you using the same WSK-MLT control unit and switch? I can access my control unit from the front of the fireplace. It has a removable side panel. A lot of units are accessible from the front with the controls being under the firebox from what I have seen. I don't know if I still have my old control unit. I probably threw it out, but I can check later. From what I recall, there is no separate power supply, it is internal in the control unit.

Yes, the Elite-44 is a Heat n Glow too. I looked at the Escape-36 - same electronics as Elite-44. All my electronics are on the left side as it appears are on the Escape-36. The power supply is on the control unit circuit board - its not separate but would be easy to identify. Please do look - if you have the old units I can send box with self stamped box inside, you'd just drop it in the mailbox. Maybe check for beer too :)

Yes, the Elite-44 is a Heat n Glow too. I looked at the Escape-36 - same electronics as Elite-44. All my electronics are on the left side as it appears are on the Escape-36. The power supply is on the control unit circuit board - its not separate but would be easy to identify. Please do look - if you have the old units I can send box with self stamped box inside, you'd just drop it in the mailbox. Maybe check for beer too :)

I'll look, but I'm pretty sure I threw it out. I'm already keeping too much old stuff that I never use. If you suspect the power supply, why not just inspect your control unit? They are pretty easy to disconnect from the fireplace and examine on the workbench. I replaced mine in about 15 minutes.

Mine is going to be pretty messy - its really tight to get into it. And, if I go poking around with a multimeter I can burn the whole thing out. I think I'll just get a replacement and do it in the summer so I have time if I run into trouble (like, please dear God, let me have left enough remote wire outside the unit so I can get to the terminals!).

Again, thanks so much for all the help! It was reassuring that someone else had the exact same problem (and the same "fix" with the battery was a workaround).

Mine is going to be pretty messy - its really tight to get into it. And, if I go poking around with a multimeter I can burn the whole thing out. I think I'll just get a replacement and do it in the summer so I have time if I run into trouble (like, please dear God, let me have left enough remote wire outside the unit so I can get to the terminals!).

Again, thanks so much for all the help! It was reassuring that someone else had the exact same problem (and the same "fix" with the battery was a workaround).

Once you have the side panel off, the control unit should just be Velcro'd on to the wall. Everything just unplugs or disconnects with spades. You shouldn't have to mess with your remote wire at all. It's a little tight, but not extreme. There should be enough wire to pull the control unit out of the side compartment to do all the disconnects. Good luck.

did the flashing "F" ever stop as I just noticed my wall switch is doing that also. the wall unit works fine and is in manual thermostat mode. they said to just replace the wall unit and heatnglo has never heard of this problem before. However if everything else works fine i might just ignore it. Does your unit work fine with f flashing?
thanks for your help