Problem with my new Quadrafire 5100 insert (primary intake air)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dtaylor

Jan 10, 2015
Wisconsin
Hi Everyone,
Just had a Quadrafire 5100i insert installed. It is my 4th quadrafire unit and I've been really happy with them.
There is great draw through the flue and I'm burning well seasoned wood.
The problem is that the startup air intake has no effect on the burn what so ever. The secondary works as it should.
I have to keep the door open for a long time before I'm able to close it. When I do it shuts the fire down so much that soot is caked on the two small windows on the sides. Open the door and it roars.
Even with a huge bed of coals and wood in it, there is no effect on the flame when I open and close the primary air intake (yes I override the ACC). I cannot get a hot enough fire going to burn the soot off.
Since I'm used to this brand I'm thinking there has to be and obstruction in the air ducts. The openings that are visible are clear.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Dtaylor

In my experince those side windows tend to get crap built up on them all the time but that doesnt change the problem of having to have the door open. Are you sure your wood is dry? How tall is your stack ect?

In my experince those side windows tend to get crap built up on them all the time but that doesnt change the problem of having to have the door open. Are you sure your wood is dry? How tall is your stack ect?
Wood is well seasoned. Very dry. I just don't get any air in other than secondary air.
Flue drafts well. If I open the door it roars up. No smoke coming back.

I have the 2700i model and the ACC also seems to have no effect...unless I raise the lever and pull it out to shut the primary completely.

I say call your dealer or installer and ask them. Or try quad directly

I say call your dealer or installer and ask them. Or try quad directly
Had my dealer come out and they looked at it and said to burn it a while to see if it improves. I did for three weeks and no change.
So I wrote Quadrafire and they referred me to the dealer.

Had my dealer come out and they looked at it and said to burn it a while to see if it improves. I did for three weeks and no change.
So I wrote Quadrafire and they referred me to the dealer.
Here is their response;

Dear ,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Regarding potential repairs of your appliance, we recommend that you work
with your local dealer. Your local dealer can provide the proper diagnosis,
equipment and resources to provide the necessary corrective actions.
Arriving at an accurate diagnosis can be very difficult by phone or e-mail.
We ask that your dealer contact us if further assistance is needed to
resolve your service issue.

For the issue that you are experiencing the best course of action would be
for your dealer to get in contact with his Quadra-Fire support team to
troubleshoot the problem in an efficient manner.

We recommend that a qualified service technician service your appliance
annually.

If you are in need of further assistance, you can find a local dealer by
clicking on the link below.

http://www.fireplaces.com/WhereToBuy.aspx

Thank You

Hearth Expert
Consumer Care Departme

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.