Problems with getting 20 cords at one time?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I have two other stacks of wood besides that one pictured. I also have started to cut up that big pin oak. Got rained out this morning.

the only issue i see is :Do you have kids. I would worry that they would start using the log piles as a 'jungle gym', and that a pile would collapse and roll over one of them.

mbcijim said:
The trees will get sold to a pulp mill or cogen plant or pellet guy, don't know, don't care.

At a bare minimum, I would mark the primo stuff to be hauled to your house. I did 25 cord over the course of last year picking away at it and it felt like I was doing it all the time. Figure if you can do a cord every weekend day by yourself, you are talking 10 straight weekends if you do it all at once.

Last load I got was 20 cord. That was May of 2009. Still have about 5 left and I'm working on that now for 2013-14.
And yep, still wet. These logs are just now BARELY beginning to get punky.
Like Dennis said (you should always listen to Dennis), have them put down sleeper logs first, then set the logs across the sleepers.

Backwoods, you misread that, I have 2.5 YEARS not CORDS c/s/s.
I'm good on the sleepers, I did that last year.

I have 7 acres, so plenty of room off in a corner.

With the whole 'friends' thing, they'd do work for it, I wouldn't give it to them. Come cut it, and leave half of what c/s or something like that. Some of them do stuff for me so it would be returning the favor type thing. Good point on the kids playing in it. I'll have to think about that the neighborhood kids are around and I like them around.

I would take the wood. I would also lay a couple of logs on the bottom perpendicular to the way you want the majority of the logs to lay. Those bottom logs will help keep the rest off the ground. I think logs kept off the ground will last a long time before rotting.

Why do you have to take 20 cords at once? if you have the opportunity to get wood twice per year, why not take smaller loads?

Oh nuts. 25 sounds so much better than 2.5 too. Well, I just tried to give you more... But you know, 25 cord really doesn't take that much room. Maybe you should go for it?!

Backwoods Savage said:
25 cord really doesn't take that much room.

Lets see ... three rows of 4' wide pallets ... 5' between rows ... 4+5+4+5+4 = 22' wide

Assuming you stack 4' high ... 25 cords * 8' long / 3 rows = 67' long

Not much space at all. Its about the same as the footprint of my house with attached garage two car garage. :)

My friend who sells wood can go through 20 cords by himself c/s/s and sold in about 10-15 days... What I am saying is he does it all day, six days a week, and it doesn't take any time to go through a couple of truck loads of logs. Think I'm blowing smoke, say I'm dreaming, well I've seen him do this for around 5 years now. I dump my chips on his land and I go there about 3-4 times per week and the log loads just melt away like ice. I have seen as many as 18-20 loads of logs disappear by the end of summer. This would be 140 cords on the small side. Hmm, makes me think you could easily do 20 cords in about 3-4 months of summer if you hit the pile every couple days/ 1 cord + per day.

RNLA said:
My friend who sells wood can go through 20 cords by himself c/s/s and sold in about 10-15 days... What I am saying is he does it all day, six days a week, and it doesn't take any time to go through a couple of truck loads of logs. Think I'm blowing smoke, say I'm dreaming, well I've seen him do this for around 5 years now. I dump my chips on his land and I go there about 3-4 times per week and the log loads just melt away like ice. I have seen as many as 18-20 loads of logs disappear by the end of summer. This would be 140 cords on the small side. Hmm, makes me think you could easily do 20 cords in about 3-4 months of summer if you hit the pile every couple days/ 1 cord + per day.

Hope hes in good shape....If not he will be in 20 days or less... I would hate to get in a fight with your friend......lol

If wood is sitting in your yard you can knock it out pretty quick. I could do 20 cord in a couple months working a few evenings and half days on the weekends. It's the travel time that kills me....loading and unloading too. If you have room for the log load and room to stack it this is a no-brainer.

Those logs will probably last years (depending on species) if left in log form and up off the ground.

Worst case scenario you don't get it all cut and put up a "take my firewood" ad on CL to clear it out...

KarlP said:
Backwoods Savage said:
25 cord really doesn't take that much room.

Lets see ... three rows of 4' wide pallets ... 5' between rows ... 4+5+4+5+4 = 22' wide

Assuming you stack 4' high ... 25 cords * 8' long / 3 rows = 67' long

Not much space at all. Its about the same as the footprint of my house with attached garage two car garage. :)

:lol: Glad someone caught that. I was afraid it would go unnoticed. lol Folks are always amazed at how much wood we have on hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.