Problems with heritage truhybrid 8024

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jenash96

Jan 3, 2021
Michigan
Hi
We installed out stove in oct 2020. We are brand new to freestanding stoves, so not 100% familiar with the length and terms of the stove. Our wood is dry, we have a moisture meter that reads less than 10% on our wood. We have noticed that once the catalyst is active and we close it, the fire inside the box completely dies! When we open the converter and open the side loading to get a draft, the stove roars to life, but then quits once everything is shut. There is little smoke in the box, but it’s black. Please help!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

My guess is well, wet wood, when taking a moisture reading take a room temp piece, re-split and test the fresh face.

We retested and the wood is 8%. We also tried out insert upstairs and that is burning great, so the wood may not be the problem.

We retested and the wood is 8%. We also tried out insert upstairs and that is burning great, so the wood may not be the problem.
That's an unlikely result for wood moisture. It usually has to be kiln dried and kept indoors to reach that low a reading. Was the wood that was tested brought up to room temp, then resplit in half so that the test could be done on the freshly exposed face of the wood in the middle of the resplit?

That's an unlikely result for wood moisture. It usually has to be kiln dried and kept indoors to reach that low a reading. Was the wood that was tested brought up to room temp, then resplit in half so that the test could be done on the freshly exposed face of the wood in the middle of the resplit?
Yes, we brought that load in last night(10pm). Could there be an issue with the airflow?

@Jenash96, I didnt have the time before to get into the specifics here, good to see that the wood is def out of the equation, def re-splitting a piece and then testing the fresh split face.
So you stove is a beauty and should be very simple to operate lets start from the beginning here
Load stove up and light the fire, making sure the primary air control (below the door on the left side) is opened all the way to the left, by-pass handle is also in the open position (located on the right side of the stove body near the top rear)
You let the fire do its thing then when the catalyst is in the active zone you close the by-pass handle, with the primary air open you should see the flames going really well, after the cat probe needle settles into a high burn start cutting air back (move the primary control to the right) this should reduce the flames in the box and create a gentle flame show and provide a slow steady heat output.
Heritage 8024 Owners Manual (1).pdf

is your wood kiln dried or stored in a conditioned space? Ive never heard of air dried wood getting into single digits outside... maybe in AZ

I went ahead, let the stove cool for the day, cleaned out all the ashes, re-re-tested our wood and surprisingly we weren’t putting enough pressure on the meter needles, as most of our wood was reading at 11, 12, one was even 26%!. After sifting thriugh the pile we finally found decently dry wood and are now getting a nice flame( all though our window is blackened). I think the reason why our insert was burning the wood well, was maybe because it’s not a catalyst stove... thank you guys!

Reactions: avsmusic1
I went ahead, let the stove cool for the day, cleaned out all the ashes, re-re-tested our wood and surprisingly we weren’t putting enough pressure on the meter needles, as most of our wood was reading at 11, 12, one was even 26%!. After sifting thriugh the pile we finally found decently dry wood and are now getting a nice flame( all though our window is blackened). I think the reason why our insert was burning the wood well, was maybe because it’s not a catalyst stove... thank you guys!
Happy to hear you got to the bottom of it
There are natural compressed wood products that can be used to supplement a load of wood that’s otherwise a bit too wet. Not sure what’s in your area but here us one example
https://northidahoenergylogs.com/