Progress Damper System Update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rearscreen

Minister of Fire
Dec 21, 2014
Vermont
Woodstock is making a new damper system for the Progress and can be retrofitted. I wonder what the changes are.

Is this for 2020 compliance?

They were working on a more precise draft control system when I visited during the last BBQ. The new lever was going to make it easier to repeat the same setting and make it more responsive to control movement vs stove performance.

Reactions: begreen
Damper system means intake air control in this case right?

Do you think they’ll just put a swoosh on it?

• Haha
Reactions: moresnow
Damper system means intake air control in this case right?

Do you think they’ll just put a swoosh on it?
I think they are going to use the big O like reference point ;)

Reactions: Highbeam
This is what Woodstock just posted on their Facebook page.

Hi Folks, The skeleton crew in the shop has been very busy working on this new air damper design for the Progress. This just in from Tom.
NEW PROGRESS DAMPER
The damper handle and gauge extend just beyond the back of the stove, on the door side (left or right).
The new system has a sliding plate to meter the air intake. This system is very similar to the system we use on the Ideal Steel Hybrid. The outside air adapter is built in. The colors in the drawings represent different parts in the engineering software.
This system offers much better control at low burn rates. The low burn view shows the damper at low burn position (with cover housing and outside air adapter suppressed).
When the damper handle is moved to a medium position on the gauge, both Primary and Secondary/Catalyst Air are opened proportionately.
To start a fire, or for a high burn, the damper handle is all the way down, and all inlets are wide open.
No photo description available.

1585939034021.png1585939052088.png1585939061812.png

Reactions: kennyp2339
Those exposed laser cut sheet steel parts don't quite go with the nice die cast parts. The mechanism may have a tendency to bind also.

I like all of the precise and visible markings on the dial. Also admirable that the company values customer desire to have finer control and repeatability of the low end output. 4” lever and dial! After all why bother with a cat stove that doesn’t do low and slow well? May as well pick one of the noncats.

Last edited:
Reactions: weatherguy
I guess I know where my stimulus money is going...

Those exposed laser cut sheet steel parts don't quite go with the nice die cast parts. The mechanism may have a tendency to bind also.
I doubt binding will be a problem either; A file or a bit of dry graphite spray would be easy fixes, if there were an issue.
But yeah, that sheet metal won't look too great. I might be inclined to alter the original, if possible..

Reactions: Mech e
I'll get one when available, it'll be nice to have more control where you need it and possibly extend the burn time.

Did they say when it will be available? I’m curious how much of a difference it will actually make. I’m leaning towards the ideal but really like the progress.

Did they say when it will be available? I’m curious how much of a difference it will actually make. I’m leaning towards the ideal but really like the progress.
When I spoke with them they said that it would be a couple of months.

I don't think its intended to extend the burn time but it will be easier to "fine tune" the draft setting.

I wonder if you can just drill a 1/4" hole in the ash pan housing, like the Keystone has, and that would let additional air in through the grate when you have the stock air control almost shut. I have a magnet on the back so that I can also vary the amount of air through the grate. You can also vary the amount of air coming through the grate by how much ash you leave in there, and how tightly you pack it down..
20200417_213555.jpg

April Fool!!!