Progress hybrid gaskets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bfitz3

Feeling the Heat
Jan 6, 2015
Northern Michigan
I’ve burned for three years and the gasket on the ash pan seems to be thoroughly compressed. Also, late in this last season, I started smelling a touch of smoke under certain conditions...I -think- it was coming from the stove top. So, i’m Going to replace the gaskets. I can source the material locally, but am not sure what to specify and didn’t notice such info in the instruction manual. Can anyone help?

Also, while I’m doing those two gaskets, are there any others would commonly need to be replaced?

Thanks!

I'd give Woodstock a call! They are always so helpful and I don't think that you could get better advice from any of us ;)

Also their prices are very reasonable.

Yep just call Woodstock... whether it’s just a easy question or how to make repairs and parts needed they never fail.
I had to replace the large plate between firebox and top. The one that has the door that closes for cat.
They sent me the best instructions and parts and had no problem and I a, not that good at that type of stuff.

Also for gaskets just bought a couple of feet of all sizes and use as needed and wast that expensive at all

I had to replace the large plate between firebox and top. The one that has the door that closes for cat.

I think you are referring to the Catalytic Bypass Damper.

Why did you have to replace this part? Was the old one cracked or warped?

Attachments

• Progress Guts.jpg
    Progress Guts.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 95
I think you are referring to the Catalytic Bypass Damper.

Why did you have to replace this part? Was the old one cracked or warped?
The big plate that the damper lays on....yes it warped.
What happened is the gaskets must have stared to let air through and a hot fire would happen at it was like a blow torch in there..
That plate started to warp and just got worse...

Wasn’t a bad fix though and was surprised how easy it was to do....

Good to know replacing that gasket does more than just prevent smoke leakage. I had not considered the blowtorch effect.
Guess I will put that on my list - mine is still original from 2012.