Progress Hybrid Install Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

progress_stover

Apr 1, 2022
Boston, MA
Hey All! Just recently joined this forum and this is my first post. Heard about the Progress Hybrid here (and so much other wonderful advice!), which led to me purchasing one. As shown below, we recently had it installed last week, replacing an old VC 1977 Vigilant that came with the house. We are so pleased with the stove and can't wait to get some more use of it next winter.

I did have one concern with the way it was installed. The installers had to remove an old 8" thimble and drill out some bricks to get the liner to pass through. They came back to finish the job (work is shown in pics below) and it seems that they didn't install an actual thimble ring as we had before with the VC stove--they merely cemented around the liner directly and threw on a cheap metal ring. Is this appropriate? Can the chimney cement be in direct contact with the liner connection like this? I'm worried that the expansion of the pipe (when heated) will cause the cement to crumble.

Stove 2.jpgStove 1.jpg

It looks like a beautiful stove. I don’t know anything about your thimble/ring question, but I thought I’d just bump this back to the top and call the real experts for you. @bholler , @begreen ?

I thought I’d try bumping this again.

I don't see how the cement matters as long as the liner is continuous to the top but you prompted the right experts for an answer.

A 3/8" stove rope gasket would provide a more flexible seal to address the concerns. If the cement does crumble out, then replace it with this.

How do you clean the flue with this setup?

Gotcha. Thanks for your reply @begreen! I haven't cleaned the flue yet, as we only just installed the stove a few weeks ago. But I'm thinking of placing some furniture slider pads under the feet, sliding the stove forward, then cleaning bottom up with a sooteater. Any ideas for making this easier??

Personally, I think I wouldn't have bricked up the area behind the stove and instead left it open or with a removable cover. That would permit a tee with a clean-out cap. This is a heavy stove so frequent moves seem like a pain.

Personally, I think I wouldn't have bricked up the area behind the stove and instead left it open or with a removable cover. That would permit a tee with a clean-out cap. This is a heavy stove so frequent moves seem like a pain.
If it were me, that is exactly what I would do, even if it meant extending the Hearth.

I don't see how the cement matters as long as the liner is continuous to the top but you prompted the right experts for an answer.
I do have a quick question regarding the stove size, how far back in the fireplace can you place the stove and still maintain functionality (load wood, adjust the damper, and open the top to the clean cat)? Assume the height of the fireplace is 29" and the width is 40".

I thought it needed to have 7" from the rear heat shield.

It also needs 24" to the sides? Not sure how your install would be seen as, given the proximity of the side walls. Are there combustibles behind the brick?

I thought it needed to have 7" from the rear heat shield.

It also needs 24" to the sides? Not sure how your install would be seen as, given the proximity of the side walls. Are there combustibles behind the brick?
My clearances are consistent with the manufacturer's recommendations in the stove's owner's manual. I made sure of this prior to purchasing it. The heat shield isn't necessary, since the masonry is not combustible.

On the opposite side of the chimney there are combustibles directly up against the chimney, but I'm not worried about this despite the 2" clearance required by building codes. The chimney surface does not get hot enough to cause pyrolysis.

ok, then the manual I saw is older.
However, note that the clearance is *not* to the brick, but to the nearest combustible *regardless* of what is in between (e.g. air or brick).

But if that meets your manual, then ok.

Reactions: progress_stover
It looks to me like if you insert it any further than 8.5" into the fireplace (measured from flue outlet), you will have problems getting the lid to open.

Reactions: ReillyVA
It looks to me like if you insert it any further than 8.5" into the fireplace (measured from flue outlet), you will have problems getting the lid to open.
That’s what I’m hoping for. I won’t go that far back but it’s nice to have the flexibility. I appreciate the feedback. Thanks .

How is the stove? I’ve been wanting to get this. I will order it next year since the biomass tax credit increases to 30%. Can you post more pictures and your experience with the stove. Thank you

How is the stove? I’ve been wanting to get this. I will order it next year since the biomass tax credit increases to 30%. Can you post more pictures and your experience with the stove. Thank you
So far I really like it (installed 3 days ago). It likes to run around 400 degrees (stove top) and warms my ranch well. I need to get a fan ti warm the bedrooms, though.
The hottest I’ve taken the stove is 500 but may change as the weather gets colder.

It’s a handsome stove and is a nice focal point fo the room.

29EE030C-AF66-48CC-AE93-D2D08B31A691.jpeg 6647CB34-C106-41AF-9A47-77586DEC20CC.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0946.MOV
    12.2 MB
Reactions: koodjack
So far I really like it (installed 3 days ago). It likes to run around 400 degrees (stove top) and warms my ranch well. I need to get a fan ti warm the bedrooms, though.
The hottest I’ve taken the stove is 500 but may change as the weather gets colder.

It’s a handsome stove and is a nice focal point fo the room.

View attachment 303227 View attachment 303228
Beautiful, thank you for youtime

Reactions: ReillyVA