Progress Hybrid Officially Approved

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i received an email from Loren at Woodstock yesterday saying ours will be shipping sometime next week.
I think it's a great idea to ask for that by-pass handle to at least be painted the color of the stove until something better comes along.
I would paint it myself, except I suspect that it requires some type of prep or primer first.
I think that the opening lid is a great idea since it allows the occasional vacuuming inside the stove and since it's quite heavy, no one will be opening it inadvertently.

how far behind schedule are they

I'm sorry, I don't know. I received the info via email.
I did just send an email asking that the damper handle be painted the same color as our stove.
I'll let everyone know their response.

I just called them about painting the bypass handle charcoal. They said that they couldn't paint the brass, but that they could make the handle out of steel (not stainless) that was paintable and would do so for me. What a great company!!!

That is a nice response. If they get enough demand, they could make it out of aluminum hex stock and have it black anodized.

I have requested ours to be painted as well. Keep in mind that paint does tend to wear off of parts like this that are subject to continuous use.

kochis said:
I have requested ours to be painted as well. Keep in mind that paint does tend to wear off of parts like this that are subject to continuous use.

Thats one of the reasons I'm going to wait. I want something I don't have to keep repainting. They offered to make me a silver or black one while I was there. These guys are busy enough, i didn't want them to take the time to create something temporary for me. Plus I don't like the hex shape.

Have you completed your break-in yet. How is your stove running?
I decided to upgrade from my Keystone mostly because of the larger firebox. The Keystone worked great except that loading up at night was like a jigsaw puzzle trying to match the wood pieces so that I could fit the max amount of wood in there. Have you been able to throttle your stove way down in order to have just low heat on the days when its not that cold outside. How does it work at the low settings. When I was at the open house, they had the stove running but at a higher temperature to show the nicer appearance of the flames and to keep the glass clean, but we all know that we don't always use our stoves like that.

I was supposed to pick mine up last week called Woodstock and they said probably won't be ready for two weeks, so I think they are about two weeks behind.

dpgoalie -How are you doing with your stove.
We are all anxious to hear about its performance

I suppose it depends on what you mean by behind. I was in the top 10 orders with an original ship date of the last week of October. I still haven't heard anything, so I don't know. There have been some indications that early orders would be delayed more than later ones since the delays were related to testing and they would be building stoves in the meantime. So, I guess the delay is dependant on what number you are and what your expectations are.

I am a little surprised that DP is the only one on here that has gotten the stove and when he went to pick it up they were still working on it. But, I would expect in the next week or two they will start shipping lots of them.

I would think you. They have a lot of development time and money in this, so I'm sure they would like to start getting some return on it. Understandably so.

kochis said:
Have you completed your break-in yet. How is your stove running?
I decided to upgrade from my Keystone mostly because of the larger firebox. The Keystone worked great except that loading up at night was like a jigsaw puzzle trying to match the wood pieces so that I could fit the max amount of wood in there. Have you been able to throttle your stove way down in order to have just low heat on the days when its not that cold outside. How does it work at the low settings. When I was at the open house, they had the stove running but at a higher temperature to show the nicer appearance of the flames and to keep the glass clean, but we all know that we don't always use our stoves like that.

II have completed the break in. The stove is running great. I have no complaints at this point. However, I loaded the stove up with large splits of dry maple this morning, and when I dampered it down the stove top temps kept rising. I shut the damper completely and in about 45 minutes, the temp went from 500 to 610 and stabilized there. I didn't know how high it was going to climb and I didn't like that the temps didn't drop when I shut the damper. And yes, I tried both burning with the cat and without and the temp wouldn't drop. I hope I don't have to add a stove pipe damper. They are ugly and it's just another thing to operate.

Si when there is a piece or 2 in there the low setting works great, but closing the damper completely didn't do much with it packed.

kochis said:
dpgoalie -How are you doing with your stove.
We are all anxious to hear about its performance

What would you like to know kochis?

Maybe I should start a new thread titled, Progress Hybrid questions and answers?????

What's the max stove top temp for this new stove? I wouldn't worry at 500-610 but if it gets close to 700 you may want to bypass the cat to cool her off. Once that cat is lit off those temps should rise pretty quickly since the cat is right under the lid.

Todd said:
What's the max stove top temp for this new stove? I wouldn't worry at 500-610 but if it gets close to 700 you may want to bypass the cat to cool her off. Once that cat is lit off those temps should rise pretty quickly since the cat is right under the lid.

Yes I know this. That is why I mentioned that I bypassed the cat and after 35 minutes the temp didn't drop a bit.

That sounds scary.
Does this mean that if you fully load the stove, you can not get a long slow steady burn?
If that is the case, I may be better off staying with my Keystone. On that, if I close off the air, the fire settles down to a stove top temp of 275 to 350 degrees.
With a stove the size of the Progress, a 600 degree temp will roast us out of the room.
During the open house, one of the points they made was that the stove had an extremely wide operating range.

kochis said:
That sounds scary.
Does this mean that if you fully load the stove, you can not get a long slow steady burn?
If that is the case, I may be better off staying with my Keystone. On that, if I close off the air, the fire settles down to a stove top temp of 275 to 350 degrees.
With a stove the size of the Progress, a 600 degree temp will roast us out of the room.
During the open house, one of the points they made was that the stove had an extremely wide operating range.

I was a little worried and glad when the temps stopped rising. I thought that once the air was turned all the way down the temps would drop. I will definitely keep you posted.

Personally, I would not want a stove that continued to increase in temperature when I've done all I can to restrict the air intakes and slow her down. Sounds like it stayed in the safe zone, so it's not out of control or anything, but still...

Patapsco Mike said:
Personally, I would not want a stove that continued to increase in temperature when I've done all I can to restrict the air intakes and slow her down. Sounds like it stayed in the safe zone, so it's not out of control or anything, but still...

It definitely stayed in the safe zone, but the temp didn't drop either......If it happens again, I think all I can do is install a stove pipe damper. But I hate having to do this.

Being new to Cat stoves, sounds like I should have tried to open the air a bit to cool the secondary burn, but I'm not sure. I will try this if the problem happens again.

Status
Not open for further replies.