Project Napoleon Oakdale Epi3T

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CanadaMontebello

Nov 15, 2015
Canada, QC, O_Montebello
Here's the project, in my house i have an old maconery chemney, from basement to up the roof. Perharps it's an open firehearth and i want to improve it's effeciency and look. So i start by revamping the fireplace with a facelift.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
foyer.JPG

Finally the insert is in place and ready to use. Next step; mortar scratch coat, but no rush i'm still waiting for my veneer stone order. Beside that some modifications need to be done for my wooden box for the LCD screen and log box on the side of the chemney. Can't wait to see the final result.

Looking good. What stone will be used? What backerboard is being used for the stone veneer?

Hint, leave a permanent access port on the side for TV wiring, maybe hidden behind a picture.

Looking good. What stone will be used? What backerboard is being used for the stone veneer?

Hint, leave a permanent access port on the side for TV wiring, maybe hidden behind a picture.
I've ordered Stone Veneer from Eldorado stone (Mountain ledge panel Pionner color). You're right for the wiring, i'll be using 2.5 in ABS plumbing pipe. For the backerboard i know it look like sheet rock, but in fact it's MgO board or Oxyde magnesium board. I went to buy cement board, and after explaining my project, the guy at the shop sell me this. He said it as pretty good properties as fire resistance as the cement board, but lighter and it as already a waterbarrier for the mortar application.

Interesting product, thanks for the info. Though lighter than traditional cement board it doesn't appear to be lighter than the NexGen products now on the market that have pumice mixed in with the cement. It does have reported better screw anchoring.
http://magobp.com/benefits/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesium_oxide_wallboard
The caveat with this product appears to be inconsistent quality coming from China which produces the board. Cheap versions appear to cause corrosion. This seems to be reported more internationally. Dealers in the US may have set higher standards.
http://www.greenbuildingtalk.com/Forums/tabid/53/aff/5/aft/77839/afv/topic/Default.aspx

They should be fine if a US or Canadian product. Most of the MgO comes from China. It's not considered profitable to mine MgO in North America. There are different grades and purities so I would expect a product sold here to set higher standards. There are too many lawyers out there if it wasn't.

You're right begreen, i'm sure they look for quality control. But it would be smart to confirm with my supplier, don't wanna take any chance. Thank you very much for the info begreen. I'm new on this forum and i really like it, lots of learning and experience to gather. I'll put a photo when the veneer is done.

Talk about a nice improvement! Wow! You did all this work yourself or hire it out? Excited to see the final stonework.

This looks awesome - nice work! And thanks for all the pictures - we can never get enough.

Please add pictures of your stonework when you're complete. Elderado makes some nice stones and I'm sure you picked a good one.

Matt