Propane fireplace to pellet insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heaterhunter

Hearth Supporter
Dec 14, 2010
Maine
I'm thinking about exchanging my propane fireplace for a pellet insert. Trying to get a good starting point for figuring out if I can put a pellet insert in my desired location and if I can what special installation techniches I may need to use. I don't know much about zero clearance but I may need this in my situation(not sure why)?? I've got a "fake hearth/fireplace" built into the inside corner of our living room and the propane is direct exhausted out the wall at the level of the propane stove exhaust pipe. I'm wondering what "zero clearance" is and why I may or may not need this install. Also was wondering what pellet insert were considered the better ones. I'm looking to heat approximately 1400 sq. ft. and don't want to be messing with this instert as much as I tinker on my freestanding pellet stove in the basement.

QuadraFire Santa Fe insert and Classic Bay 1200 Insert are real nice units and considered true zero clearance units with the right pieces installed. The installation manuals are on line and tell you what you need to do.

Eric

You can also look at the Enviro EF3i FPI with the zero clearance kit

I took some measurements last night so I have a little more to go on. I think it might be tight with the corner clearance of the stove and my sheetrock. 13" from the face of the propane fireplace to the sheetrock on each side BUT most inserts aren't 36" wide which is what the fireplace is... What is Zero Clearance? Thanks for the feedback.

A Zero Clearance fireplace appliance is installed directly (usually 1/2' to 1' clearance) against standard building materials without additional fire proofing. There is NO clearance required under the unit. It can sit directly on a combustible floor (i.e. Plywood). Pre-manufactured piping is used for chimney installation.

So I just make sure I have room for the ZC box in my harth and just maintain my exhaust pipe clearance (I think it's 3"??) and exit my house with a wall thimble? Is there any requirements for vertical run out of the stove to ensure good draft? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.