Propane Generator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine are gasoline. But over the years I have heard and read a lot about problems with propane generators starting in very cold weather. And fuel pressure problems when the tank is cold.
Just one comment about propane in cold weather. We have a friend in a very cold climate with an expensive whole-house system They have a large underground propane tank which prevents those problems. Expensive, though, but they can afford it...:) Personally, I gave up on the idea of propane for many reasons and just keep my gas fresh by rotating stored gas through my cars every few months. It is possible to do it right, though.

I'm still kicking myself in the rear for turning down an Onan deisel out a fifth-wheel camper.
Buddy of mine parked it to live permanently wired and said "you can have it"
It was heavy and in a tight spot to remove, and didn't have my truck.

Apparently he was on the lamb or something cause he dispeared from the face of the earth a couple months later - drawer came up short at his employers

Is your garage attached to your house? I heard in the news recently of a few people dying from carbon monoxide. I think it's smart that you open the garage door a foot but I don't think it's recommended to run it in doors. Sounds like you are doing fine.

Garage is indeed attached to the house but the genset exhaust is plumbed outside (could be done better, I need to get on that. I didn't do the install.). Also the garage floor is 3 ft lower than the house so with the 16ft overhead door open I think we're good. ;) I would love to pour a pad behind my shed (noisy in the garage) and build a small generator enclosure but that's going to be a lot of time and $$ to rewire and the wife has other priorities.;lol

Garage is indeed attached to the house but the genset exhaust is plumbed outside (could be done better, I need to get on that. I didn't do the install.). Also the garage floor is 3 ft lower than the house so with the 16ft overhead door open I think we're good. ;) I would love to pour a pad behind my shed (noisy in the garage) and build a small generator enclosure but that's going to be a lot of time and $$ to rewire and the wife has other priorities.;lol

Well if it works why fix it huh

Status
Not open for further replies.