Propane leak fluid

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The gas company also sent me a plug in gas detector with the invoice which has been sitting in the package in the cabinet above the fridge for 4 years. As an added measure I tested the detector with a propane torch and installed it the crawlspace. Figured that is the most likely place for propane to accumulate if there was ever a leak.
Yes, the lowest point and you should have one in the living area also. I’ve been on multiple LP and NG house explosions in 25 years as a firefighter.

Propane has a lower ignition temp and a 3% lower explosive limit than NG. The possibility of an explosion at 2.1ppm makes it that you would never smell it in a crawl space before it reached that level unless you were in there. Nice thing about NG is it’s lighter and dissipates from those confined areas and it’s lower explosive limit around 5ppm makes it detectable before an explosion.