Propane Tank Storage, which way is up ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trehugr

Dec 16, 2007
Greenwood, Maine
I am seriously contemplating the use of 2 / 500 gal tanks.

1) They will be buried outside.
2) Will install one this year, the other next year.

My burning questions are

1) Can I oversize the expansion tank to accommodate the eventual addition of a second tank.
2) What would be better, horizontally stacked, or vertically side by side. ( which would be better for stratification )
3) Should I build a concrete coffin for them, either vertically or horizontally and surround the tanks with expanding foam to insulate them. Would I need any concrete at all?

Called a gas co in Portland yesterday, quoted me $1500 for new 500 gal above ground tank. What's the difference between above ground and below ground anyway, paint ?

I recently closed the deal on a used 1000 gal propane, delivered by local gas co, for $850. I understand underground tanks have some sort of mechanism to control corrosion by galvanic action, like an anode rod in a hw htr, perhaps. I don't think an over-sized expansion tank poses any issue.

Although it takes up space, I installed the tank in a space that gets heated, so that radiated heat that escapes goes right into the heated space, a big increase in efficiency.

Don't know about the rest.

After careful measuring, I have determined I could get a 500 gallon propane tank into the basement, and positioned where needed. Im curious if 10,000 lbs is to much weight for the floor. ( 2/500 gal tanks+water) And any ideas on how to get the second tank on top of the other one?

trehugr said:
I am seriously contemplating the use of 2 / 500 gal tanks.

1) They will be buried outside.
2) Will install one this year, the other next year.

My burning questions are

1) Can I oversize the expansion tank to accommodate the eventual addition of a second tank.
2) What would be better, horizontally stacked, or vertically side by side. ( which would be better for stratification )
3) Should I build a concrete coffin for them, either vertically or horizontally and surround the tanks with expanding foam to insulate them. Would I need any concrete at all?

Called a gas co in Portland yesterday, quoted me $1500 for new 500 gal above ground tank. What's the difference between above ground and below ground anyway, paint ?

Did you ever get your question number 2 answered?

Status
Not open for further replies.