Proper Install and Paying for an Inspection!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadMax31

Burning Hunk
Jan 2, 2015
Pittstown NY
Thanksgiving day, my Mother-in-Law missed our road. Pulled to side to allow traffic to pass, oops Im stuck. Car proceeded to burn to the ground as her exhaust was touching pine needles and leaves....

At that very moment, in the next town over, a pellet stove with a plain awful installation nearly burned someones home to the ground. A co-worker, who is the Safety Officer for his Fire House aided NYS Fire in the Inspection afterwards.

Rule 1. Dont install your stove on the PALLET it shipped on.

Rule 2. Read directions regarding proper flue venting. 3 90's and the vent termination hood installed upside down is a very bad idea. Saw pics of flue pipe internals, haven't seen that much soot since I worked on Bunker-C.

Flue pipe connections inside the wall thimble are an even worse idea. As this connection was not completed, you can summize what happened here.

Paying for a Inspection and notifying your homeowners insurance of its existence would be ideal. I'm told the Insurance is having a hard time paying out on this.

Nobody home and nobody injured. That's the most important part here.

New Pellet Stove DIYers, this is exactly why people on this board are quick to jump down one's throat and preach reading the install manual.

Reactions: FirepotPete
Good lesson and reminder. Its much cheaper and stress free to get your stove properly installed and inspected. If you ever have a problem, the insurance company would not use that against you to deny the claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.