proper temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clearblue16

Jan 14, 2009
Seattle
Hello I have a new Hampton hi200 small wood insert....is there a good thermometer for it? It is the brown porcelin finish....I have only been using it a couple days and am paranoid about it getting too hot! Is that a real concern in a small insert if it is used correctly? It is brand new and of modern design....thanks!

Your dealer should sell magnetic thermometers that can be stuck to the face of your insert. Brand I used was Rutland. I switched to an IR (Infrared) thermometer because my insert does not have a place on the front of it that will give an accurate read. (Magnet has to sit directly on a piece of steel that has nothing between it and the firebox or else temp. is not accurate. THe front of my insert is covered in cast iron with a layer of air between it and the steel.)

I wanted to keep track of temps. when I began burning because I did not want creosote build up which can be dangerous and cause chimney fires. I also did not want to burn too hot either - was scared of seeing insert glowing red.

Enjoy your new stove and the warmth. :coolsmile:

P.S. Can't remember how much magnetic therm. cost but it was probably under $10. IR was a lot more pricey.

Status
Not open for further replies.