Proper way to clean exterior of insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

LindaLI

Hearth Supporter
Oct 1, 2009
Long Island
Hello. We've just purchased a Regency i2400. It's replacing our Dutchwest insert. I was never happy with the appearance of the black on our old insert and I think maybe I wasn't caring for it right. When ash/ dust accumulate on these units, what's the best way to clean them up? Is there a product? Do you only do it when it's hot/ cold? I have a cleaner that worked well at keeping the window clean, but the black always looked splotchy to me- with me just wiping with a damp cloth when cold.

I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Just wiping down with a slightly damp cloth should suffice.

Hi Linda.. I totally get what you mean about the splotchy thing. I sometimes use a soft shoe brush before I think about needing to use a damp cloth - should be a lint-free cloth though.

If I get a persistent paler area that I don't like the look of, I give it the tiniest spray, from a distance, with stove paint.. That brings it up like new..

Status
Not open for further replies.