Pros and cons of the Osburn Matrix wood-burning insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FireMeister

Hi Everyone:

This is my first post as a new member. Our 40-year-old chimney has smoke leaks and our solution to the problem is to replace the old Heatilator open fireplace with a wood-burning insert. We live on a lot with more than 100 trees, so firewood (maple, ash, poplar, oak, etc.) is always plentiful. We have been shopping the various manufacturers and models for several months now and seem to be nearing a decision to purchase the Osburn Matrix, because we like the flush design and the modern, sleek looks in our contemporary-style home. We also looked at the Pacific Energy Neo 2.5. I'm a little concerned the blower motor of the Osburn Matrix will be too noisy, and an earlier post by BeGreen (our helpful forum moderator) makes me cautious about dust.

Does anyone on this thread have any experience with the Osburn Matrix, good or bad, they'd like to share? I searched Hearth.com's reviews sections (very helpful) but did not see any reviews of the Matrix, although there were many reviews of other models by Osburn such as the 2200 and the 2400. Also, I noticed a couple of very negative reviews of the Matrix on Amazon.com (hard to believe you can buy a fireplace insert with free shipping on Amazon!) and am not sure we are making a wise decision.

Thanks in advance for any guidance that more experienced Matrix insert owners may be able to provide.

With only 3 reviews that is a tiny sampling, but the reviewers bring up some good points other than complaining about having to install a liner. This is a flush insert which means it needs a blower to convect the heat. The lack of a variable speed control bugs people and I have to agree that I would expect this on the insert. Some of the other complaints are typical for flush inserts without an ashlip. They are messy and worse, as ash spills on the hearth it can get sucked into the blower intake.

Is a flush insert essential? If not there are many more good choices. If it is important then maybe compare with the Lopi/FPX flush insert, the Enviro Venice and Pacific Energy Neo 2.5.

I have looked at that one as well. I am curious if you looked at the Regency CI2600?

My wife is keen for a flush insert so my choices are limited.

Hi Everyone:

This is my first post as a new member. Our 40-year-old chimney has smoke leaks and our solution to the problem is to replace the old Heatilator open fireplace with a wood-burning insert. We live on a lot with more than 100 trees, so firewood (maple, ash, poplar, oak, etc.) is always plentiful. We have been shopping the various manufacturers and models for several months now and seem to be nearing a decision to purchase the Osburn Matrix, because we like the flush design and the modern, sleek looks in our contemporary-style home. We also looked at the Pacific Energy Neo 2.5. I'm a little concerned the blower motor of the Osburn Matrix will be too noisy, and an earlier post by BeGreen (our helpful forum moderator) makes me cautious about dust.

Does anyone on this thread have any experience with the Osburn Matrix, good or bad, they'd like to share? I searched Hearth.com's reviews sections (very helpful) but did not see any reviews of the Matrix, although there were many reviews of other models by Osburn such as the 2200 and the 2400. Also, I noticed a couple of very negative reviews of the Matrix on Amazon.com (hard to believe you can buy a fireplace insert with free shipping on Amazon!) and am not sure we are making a wise decision.

Thanks in advance for any guidance that more experienced Matrix insert owners may be able to provide.

I owned a Matrix a few years back. I had an issue with the fan making a vibration noise but they sent a replacement without question. Also added high temp caulk around the fan housing base to soften the noise of the vibration. Decent burn times (8+ hours) when loading N/S but have to cut to 14 or 15" lengths to load that way. I liked it but I am not a fan of fans...;) I'd take my insert I have currently without a fan any day; and it's half the size.