Protect flooring under Enviro mini ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NowhereMan

Jan 21, 2019
California
We've used our Enviro mini as the main source of heat in our house for more than 10 years, and it's still going strong. We've finally decided to upgrade the flooring in the "great room" where the mini resides, and I'm concerned that the built-in hearth pad will damage the new "luxury vinyl plank" (LVP) flooring that we're putting in. So, I'd like to have something under the mini to project the flooring, mostly to spread the weight. I don't want anything too thick, but other than that I'm not too particular. If you have any suggestions, let me know!

3/16 sheet metal.I am actually surprised a mini lasted that long.On the other hand,why would you be concerned about the material underneath the heating unit of your house?I think this is another fake post,lots been coming up here.

3/16 sheet metal.I am actually surprised a mini lasted that long.On the other hand,why would you be concerned about the material underneath the heating unit of your house?I think this is another fake post,lots been coming up here.

Haha! Nothing fake about this one. We're just thinking that some day we might want to move the pellet stove, or the next owner might want to heat with propane, or whatever. A damaged spot in LVP flooring is a pain to repair, so we'd just like to avoid any damage to start with.

And, I should mention that we don't have a really harsh climate here (in the Santa Cruz mountains). And I do regular maintenance on the mini, so I think it'll last forever. The ignitor needs replacing about once every 3 years, and the circuit board got fried in a power surge once (since have gotten a surge protector). It makes a bit of noise on the high setting, but we seldom need that, and otherwise seems to be as good as the day we got it.

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions... Please keep them coming!

All you need under it is spark protection. For an inexpensive pad we use slate tiles.

I think slate would be kind of thick, since we are already raising the floor (adding another layer of subflooring). And I don't think those tiles would do a great job of protecting the floor, unless we could find some unusually smooth ones.

Thanks for all of the replies. I think the sheet metal idea is probably the best solution--a nice sheet of stainless would be a good contrast. But I'm going to take a look at the stove board first, since it's essentially the same thing, seems to be the right size, and should not have any sharp edges...