Protected / Shielded Alcove Examples

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yes, many are 24" deep, though there are some shallower models like the Astria Ladera.
Yeah even the tiny Ladera doesn't fit. Well it fits, but it gets pushed so far to the right side that there's not enough clearance to the side wall. The older non-cat version was a little less deep, so if I could ever dig up one, it might work, but the current version won't work.

So long time since I posted, but I was finally able to get a Hearthstone Shelburne, and am going to start working on making the protected alcove! I'm really excited about this project!

One (of I'm sure many) quick question I have: for NFPA 211, a couple of the options says to use noncombustible insulation board. I can't seem to find any specific definition for this though (vs. for mineral wool insulation they give a thickness and density requirement). My observation from reading all of the wall protection posts here is that everyone interprets this to mean 1/2" durock? Is that correct?