protecting leather headrest

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyShackleford

Minister of Fire
Jan 6, 2009
NC
I've had one of those wonderful (especially for back-pain sufferers) and expensive Ekornes chairs for about 20 years. Being 4ft from the woodstove is hard on it, but apparently the oils on my hair are worse, so the headrest wore an ugly hole in the leather. That chair was demoted and replaced, and we'd like to keep the same thing from happening to the new one. It's difficult to figure out some covering for the headrest that stays in place and is not unattractive from front and rear, among other criteria. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Go to some place that works leather (think purse, saddle bags, horsey stuff, etc) and have them whip up a covering for you. Replace as needed.

Go to some place that works leather (think purse, saddle bags, horsey stuff, etc) and have them whip up a covering for you. Replace as needed.
Thanks. But how would it attach ? That's the crux of the thing I think - a means of attachment that doesn't look tacky. Attached is a picture of the headrest. It's also worth noting that the pad at the front of the headrest is velcro'd to the main part of it.

Attachments

• IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 124
Leather "strings" on each corner of the cover to pull behind the headrest and tie nice and snug. They could probably even match the color.

Or maybe a "sock" style with a gather string (like the string in your hoodie). Gather to the back so that it is less observable. Just throwing stuff at the wall to see if it sticks....:p

Are you sure it's not the back of your baseball cap that was rubbing against leather ?

I've been treating my couches, boots and other leathers with Obenauf's Heavy-Duty Leather Preservative. http://www.cabelas.com This is the best leather treatment I've found.
Originally developed for the severe conditions endured by wildland firefighters, Obenauf’s LP protects, preserves, restores and adds water repellency to many types of leather. The beeswax/propolis suspension formula provides a time-release lubrication to inner fibers while the leather’s surface is reinforced against scuffing and remains breathable. The formula contains no harmful silicone, petroleum or solvents, and is odorless after applied. Goes on easily with with a clean cloth.
I've had leather couches for 20+ years, and with a wood stove in the same room since 2009. It keeps leather in good condition.
Couches are still in good condition, except for a spot abraded from heals of my feet (I use a wool blanket to protect the leather now).

Are you sure it's not the back of your baseball cap that was rubbing against leather ?
That's what my Nancy says. I wonder if John Redcorn has anything to do with it. Hmm ...

I've been treating my couches, boots and other leathers with Obenauf's Heavy-Duty Leather Preservative.
I'll check that out, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.