psst! It's here!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice install. Using mine to heat 2000sq ft on 2 levels. Heating both levels with ease although it burns through the wood when it drops to -30 celcius. Going to try some birch for some longer overnight burns. Right now getting about 6.5 hours burn with spruce. (hot coals, +200 F stove top) I've tried the side door and can't say I'm a huge fan. I really like loading it up with in a north south configuration. I can just stack more wood and I don't have to worry about a log rolling onto the glass.

Pagey said:
Easily one of the best looking stoves on the market.

Agreed. The blue-black enamel shows it off at its Sunday best.

BeGreen said:
Pagey said:
Easily one of the best looking stoves on the market.

Agreed. The blue-black enamel shows it off at its Sunday best.

Yes, it is a very nice looking stove. Too nice actually. The look of the stove and the beautiful flame with the secondaries rolling was the only thing holding me back from getting a Blaze king. I just love watching the flames way too much! That is part of the appeal of burning wood and while you gain the long burn times with the blaze king, you lose much more by not being able to see the flame.

One thought is air circulation. Right now its great but if you close in the sides in you might lose to much heat. I know you want to clean up the look of the stone so why not do as some have suggested and go with a wrought iron side cover but make sure its perforated with lots of holes especially on the bottom and top so the air can get behind the stove. Actually a few artistic curlycue's made to follow the stone would look great and not limit air flow. It would be a shame if you had to tear out an expensive cover because it was limiting air and heat. Also the side door would not open at all if you boxed in the sides for looks.

I would just live with the stove for now you might find that the stove is so attractive no one notices the stone sides.

Shari, I also hear tell you have some good dry wood to burn in that stove! Nice.

Bobbin said:
It's beautiful! you must be thrilled with it.

One of the things I like most about this site is the diversity of members and reading about things like metal fabrication. (always wanted to learn to weld and shoe horses).

Bobbin, I'm all for shoeing those horses but I'm not so sure about welding them. lol Just kidding.

BS, Regarding wood - not a problem here as we probably have at least 2-1/2+ cord ready to go with more seasoning for 2010/11.

Snowtime: Regarding doing 'something' on the lannon stone sides - We are not looking to 'enclose' the stove rather just cover the 4" of the stove face where the stone was notched.

Man, it is up to 78°F in here! Outside temp is up to 24°F. We have had 2 bedrooms closed off all winter, they are now opened up to spread the heat throughout our 1700 sq ft ranch. I shed my sweat shirt early this morning in favor of a t-shirt, gotta find my summer shorts. Had the grand babies here for awhile today. The 2-1/2 year old stripped herself down to just her diaper and was dancing in front of the stove. Man - Heat is sweet! :)

The next few days we will have lows in the single digits - good time to learn this stove!

Shall we send our oil man a sympathy card? :lol:

Shari

Shari that is so good to hear. Yes, I do remember seeing some of your pictures of the wood and that was the first thing I thought of when I read that you finally got the stove. Now take a few heavy clothes off and enjoy that thing! Let the single digits come and they won't bother you now.

Just wait till you get that baby dialed in. Once you figure out how it eats, sleeps and breaths - you will be able to put your finger on a comfortable temp and get that baby to stick there. Its a beautiful thing.

Shari,
Wow, Very nice. You obviously have the patience of a saint, and now it's paid off!
Sounds like it's doing a good job heating the house too.
I would agree with the idea of a metal frame of some sort that maybe wraps into the FP opening, without closing it off.
Hope you get that baby dialed in soon. I'm sure we'd ALL like an update on that. :coolsmile:

Shari, you might be able to remove those stones that are cut and replace them with ceramic tiles that could "set off' the blue black stove

Looks like it's been there forever.
Very good job & it looks great.

Looks great! For the life of me I can't see what is so awful on the stone that it needs to be covered up though. I think scars on stone or brick for that matter, mostly look really cool and rustic and set off the stove in a nice contrast!

tickbitty said:
Looks great! For the life of me I can't see what is so awful on the stone that it needs to be covered up though. I think scars on stone or brick for that matter, mostly look really cool and rustic and set off the stove in a nice contrast!

Well, on the right, there is about a 5" band going from the hearth all the way up to the lintel that is cut in about 1-1/2" and on the right, in the same area, the stone has been scarfed up with a saw blade - all this to fit in the former fireplace doors on the uneven face of the lannon stone.

Shari

Shari said:
tickbitty said:

Well, on the right, there is about a 5" band going from the hearth all the way up to the lintel that is cut in about 1-1/2" and on the right, in the same area, the stone has been scarfed up with a saw blade - all this to fit in the former fireplace doors on the uneven face of the lannon stone.

Shari
OK yah, I did see that, I guess it was that, like I said, personally it does not detract from the loveliness of the stove or the stone, I just think it looks cool anyway - but to each his own! Either way that's a great stove and great hearth. What did you do with the stone topped older stove in the garage? (that was you, right?)

tickbitty said:
Shari said:
tickbitty said:

Shari
OK yah, I did see that, I guess it was that, like I said, personally it does not detract from the loveliness of the stove or the stone, I just think it looks cool anyway - but to each his own! Either way that's a great stove and great hearth. What did you do with the stone topped older stove in the garage? (that was you, right?)

It is sitting in my garage. Wanna buy it?

Shari

Status
Not open for further replies.