Pulled Grandpa out of the basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bushman

Burning Hunk
Dec 28, 2014
Northern Michigan
Last night my wife & I moved a real nice original Grandpa out of a basement in Charlevoix,MI. The folks were getting a house ready to rent after an elderly relative passed and wanted the stove moved out.

When I saw the picture listed it looked like a Grandma but, when I put the ruler across the top it was 29.5" so I was excited at my find. The stove has the original stones and paint which are both in great shape.

Inside the doors it has the castings AS R G/P & AS L G/P. This stove had been in the house since it was new according to the seller who recalled when it was originally installed. The door spark screen was up in the garage rafters and I was just lucky enough to see it before loading into my Land Cruiser.

I know this is a non UL listed square door Grandpa but, is there anything else that tells a story on this stove?

I don't plan on doing anything with this stove, it's original and really is the cleanest, Fisher I have personally seen.

Attachments

• IMG_1572.JPG
    IMG_1572.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_1573.JPG
    IMG_1573.JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_1574.JPG
    IMG_1574.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_1575.JPG
    IMG_1575.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 330
Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Last night my wife & I moved a real nice original Grandpa out of a basement in Charlevoix,MI. The folks were getting a house ready to rent after an elderly relative passed and wanted the stove moved out.

When I saw the picture listed it looked like a Grandma but, when I put the ruler across the top it was 29.5" so I was excited at my find. The stove has the original stones and paint which are both in great shape.

Inside the doors it has the castings AS R G/P & AS L G/P. This stove had been in the house since it was new according to the seller who recalled when it was originally installed. The door spark screen was up in the garage rafters and I was just lucky enough to see it before loading into my Land Cruiser.

I know this is a non UL listed square door Grandpa but, is there anything else that tells a story on this stove?

I don't plan on doing anything with this stove, it's original and really is the cleanest, Fisher I have personally seen.
Great find!

Probably a '77 or '78 at the latest. First Grandpa with the smaller trees to match Grandma.
Definitely collector quality.

If you want to unscrew the right spring handle to make it match the left, wrap a towel or shop rag around the last coil down the handle and rotate with pliers. This will loosen the coils to allow it to remove from the handle. No worries of hurting the plating, they are solid stainless steel springs. If you try to rotate entire spring by hand, it will tighten on the handle and not turn. You can only rotate them ON by hand which opens the coils.
I get a length of new Dura-Black pipe from Home Depot and put on each stove in my collection to give it a finished look.

Are the ball feet brass?? They were normally chrome plated, but my '76 Grandpa with 3 piece top has brass handles and feet.

No need to brag! :)

Looking at the picture I notice the thimble is a bit rusty. I'm assuming the stove was hooked up and not used for years. I would pull some of the firebrick and check for rust on the inside of the firebox.

Also a small amount of Never Seize on the hing pins and draft knob threads is good prevention.

Last edited: