Can someone help me identify this stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kelllzbelllz

Oct 22, 2022
Forest City, NC
I'm confused by this stove. My husband refurbishes Fisher stoves and we've never run across this size stove before. We assumed it was a Grandpa when we purchased it, but after looking at it more closely we've found out it is larger than the traditional 29.5" grandpa. I've google searched but I'm not coming up with anything close in this era stove. It also has round silver feet about 1.5" diameter. The doors are embossed with "M" in addition to the traditional L for left and R for right and G/P which I know stands for Grandpa. Could this just be an odd larger Grandpa stove? I'm including photos and a sketch of the firebrick layout. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Here's the measurements:
Across top plate: 32.25"
Depth without shelf: 20.5"
Depth with shelf: 26.5"
Height without feet: 30.5"
Height with feet: 32"
Width of box: 30.75"
Flue: 8"
Doors: 12"x13.5"
Opening: 9.5" x 19.5"
IMG_2182.jpg
IMG_2183.jpg
IMG_2184.jpg
Fisher firebricks (cook).JPG

I nicknamed those the “wide body”. If you use that as a search keyword posted by me in this Forum you’ll find more. Some have special curled hinge plates to reach the doors.

Do the firebricks span all the way across the back first, then install sides like most, or are the sides installed first, then the back? I think these were made to use the same amount of brick, bit overlap the corners to make a wider stove. Other than more surface area for a bit more radiant output, I have no idea why this was done. It was not done at many fabricators. Mostly by the Dunn Brothers licensed for VA and WVA.

Thank you so much, coaly. I've read the other posts you mentioned and it is very helpful. Not sure about how the firebricks are installed but I'll check and reply. We've seen a lot of fisher stoves but this one had us scratching our heads. ;lol