Pulled the trigger on a new P43

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Here is my P61a in the basement. It has a bit of a run for the exhaust and the OAK but I didn't want the stove in the corner as it would be pointed straight at my boiler, water heater, chimney and stairs - no way for the air to get out of that area if set up like that. And no, that exhaust isn't nearly as close to that just installed sheet rock as it looks - the angle just makes it look like that.

View attachment 221327
hey.. it works right?

Reactions: bogieb
Ok, so the stove will be centered on this wall with the pipe going up a few feet above the stove to get above grade. As you can see I have lots of finishing work to do down there so boxing in a kit is doable. I'll probably route it to the left at floor level because it will exit outside at slightly above ground level. The outside section of chimney will come thru the block roughly half way between the tower and the corner of the wall.

Attachments

• IMG_20180121_162844630.jpg
    IMG_20180121_162844630.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_20180102_101527890.jpg
    IMG_20180102_101527890.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 124
Ok, so the stove will be centered on this wall with the pipe going up a few feet above the stove to get above grade. As you can see I have lots of finishing work to do down there so boxing in a kit is doable. I'll probably route it to the left at floor level because it will exit outside at slightly above ground level. The outside section of chimney will come thru the block roughly half way between the tower and the corner of the wall.

So..you plan to run your OAK along the baseboard toward the opposite wall?

Possibly. I was just going to try and avoid the two pipes visible above the stove but if that's what I have to end up with, so be it. I am lucky in that the small wall to the left is deeper then normal to accommodate some plumbing so I will be able to get the exit point of the OAK a few feet in the air if that's the route I end up going.

Greetings @Bullyboy from a fellow Ontarian :)

Your thread caught my eye as we have similar setups it seems, a BK on the main level (love it) and a cooler occasional-use basement... well you solved yours with the pellet solution, I presume.

I'm considering a pellet stove for our basement. Would you mind sharing how your P43 worked out? I was thinking that exact model myself.

Hope it all went great for you, and thanks for sharing :)

Well, I still question my decision a bit but not because of the stove. The P43 has been perfect and so far we are really happy with it. It is the perfect stove in terms of not having to worry about it. The somewhat downside to it ( LOL) is that the kids and now the wife are using the basement more then I anticipated. The stove is pretty much running non stop at a bag a day. Easy for me because I make my son put a bag in every night before bed and I shut it down every Sat or Sunday and spend no more then 10 mins giving it a little cleaning and vacuuming. So now that the wife has discovered that she can just head down there whenever she doesn't like what I'm watching has cost me a little more in pellet consumption then I expected. Small price, really. Lol. In complete honesty I made it clear to the family that I was putting it in for them. I love my Blaze King and the living room it's in. I don't plan on spending much time down there and I myself would of preferred a wood stove down there but my wife felt that if anything ever happens to me she only wants to worry about bringing wood to one stove. Strong argument, hence the P43. No one in the house seems to mind the fan noise except for me. Again I love the silent radiant heat from the wood stove. So to sum it all up, it's a great stove, we have had no issues with it, tried several different pellet brands without issue and the maintenance so far has been really easy. Perfect for our situation. The people who are near it don't mind the fan noise and basically, happy wife happy life. LOL. If there is anything else you would like to know, feel free to ask.

Reactions: Highbeam and bogieb
Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear it's working out, with a "good" downside of the fam loving the heat it puts off!

Here's a question: I'm hoping a pellet stove in our basement will supplement the heat on the main level a bit, at least by keeping the floors warm--do you feel running it pretty constantly the way you do has done that? (Mine are open joists in a semi-finished and insulated basement.)

Well, to begin with I didn't have high expectations of it helping the main floor much even thou everyone told me it would. The basement is just under 1500 sq ft completely finished but the floor is only laminate over concrete, so it can get chilly. The staircase is at one side of the house and the stove is way over on the other side, probably 30 - 35 ft away. The family room it is in is usually 22 -23C and closer to the staircase is more around 19-20. We can easily even out the temps by turning the fan higher but then watching tv in that room would be a challenge due to the noise. This is with the stove in constant mode with the lowest feed rate. A few weeks ago when it actually looked like spring was coming we were experimenting with room temp mode because once it was getting between 7 and 10C outside during the day, inside was hitting 25+. Our master bedroom is directly above the room with the pellet stove and that's the only place we notice a big difference in the floor temp. Definitely nicer in the early morning and midnight bathroom breaks. I would think that with you having open joists you would get a lot more of a benefit in that regard. Depending on where your staircase is in the house and how open the basement is. What I'm hoping for is that it helps out a bit more during shoulder season when there's still a chill in the air but you don't need much to take the edge off. Unfortunately, were still waiting for spring to arrive to try that out.

Wow, thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it. Glad it's working out. And yeah, if only winter would let up... and we could forget about heating for a while! Thanks again