Pulled the trigger on Lopi Rockport

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
In this particular stove it must have the cat installed, there's no middle ground. The VC is the only one that has a removable cat. That sounds convenient! You can simply let the stove go completely out, tear the fireback apart and remove the fragile catalyst. Simple as that!

With a little good luck the cat will stay intact for a few years with this stove. But since it has no protection, I wouldn't expect much more than a
few years of good life with the catalyst.

How do you like the stove after a few months of use? I was considering between this one and BK Ashford 2.1. I'm a bit concerned with the fire show on BK though.

How's the show of lopi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you like the stove after a few months of use? I was considering between this one and BK Ashford 2.1. I'm a bit concerned with the fire show on BK though.

How's the show of lopi?

I really enjoy it. It's a beautiful stove and really puts out the heat. Was a learning curve getting used to a cat stove but I think I have got it down now.

I can get about 9-10 hours of heat like the manufacturer says but I'm using homefire prest logs as my wood supply still is wet. But I have to use more than I would like to to get it that way. Can't wait till next year when the wood is dry.

I purchased this stove before I became a member here and really had no clue as to any other stoves besides what my dealer sells. If I would have researched more I would be in the same boat as you except I would be looking at the ashford 30.1. The stove looks similar but the burn times it could be capable of on low I like. But since my wife is home all day and our usual mild weather during the day the burn times we have are fine.

Overall I'm happy with the purchase except I have a spot on the door that doesn't pass a dollar bill test and adjusting the latch doesn't help it. The installer is coming out to look at it soon. We will se how that goes.

And yes the fire show is spectacular and mesmerizing. Hopefully the video shows. This was right after the air was shut down it gets better after a bit but I'm usually never around when it happens or have my phone with me.

Reactions: weatherguy
I really enjoy it. It's a beautiful stove and really puts out the heat. Was a learning curve getting used to a cat stove but I think I have got it down now.

I can get about 9-10 hours of heat like the manufacturer says but I'm using homefire prest logs as my wood supply still is wet. But I have to use more than I would like to to get it that way. Can't wait till next year when the wood is dry.

I purchased this stove before I became a member here and really had no clue as to any other stoves besides what my dealer sells. If I would have researched more I would be in the same boat as you except I would be looking at the ashford 30.1. The stove looks similar but the burn times it could be capable of on low I like. But since my wife is home all day and our usual mild weather during the day the burn times we have are fine.

Overall I'm happy with the purchase except I have a spot on the door that doesn't pass a dollar bill test and adjusting the latch doesn't help it. The installer is coming out to look at it soon. We will se how that goes.

And yes the fire show is spectacular and mesmerizing. Hopefully the video shows. This was right after the air was shut down it gets better after a bit but I'm usually never around when it happens or have my phone with me.

Beautiful stove! Congrats!!!

Am I reading correctly that if you were to do it all over again you would end up with BK if cost was the same? Or would you still end up with rockport?

Did you get greenstart or is it overrated?

Beautiful stove! Congrats!!!

Am I reading correctly that if you were to do it all over again you would end up with BK if cost was the same? Or would you still end up with rockport?

Did you get greenstart or is it overrated?

I'm not sure which I would have ended up with it would have been a tough choice. Don't get me wrong I am absolutely happy with the rockport but the possible longer burn times of the bk is intriguing and the thermostat but we really don't mess with the air control much once we have it where it needs to be.

No green start. I have extremely dry kindling that most lights with a match so I have no trouble with starting fires. Even the wife doesn't have issues.

Reactions: ilya
Good move passing on the Greenstart. I can start a fire in half the time with a super Cedar chunk and a few pieces of smaller wood.
Its surprising loud too! It's one of those things you would show your buddies and then the wow factor would disappear I'd think. ?
And if you burn 24/7 you would rarely need it.

I have the Lopi Evergreen, great fire show with dry wood. I got the green start feature and really like it. It is loud, but is a nice convenience feature. Local company gives away their pressed sawdust pellets, makes great kindling. The fan isnt louder but I dont mind the noise from the green start, the fan annoys me more

I have the Lopi Evergreen, great fire show with dry wood. I got the green start feature and really like it. It is loud, but is a nice convenience feature. Local company gives away their pressed sawdust pellets, makes great kindling. The fan isnt louder but I dont mind the noise from the green start, the fan annoys me more
That's surprising to hear about the fan. That particular fan is much quieter than traditional woodstove fans. Have you had another modern stove blower to compare the noise level to?

I can get about 9-10 hours of heat like the manufacturer says
Hi Tegbert, could you help me understand what the stovetop temperature is after 9-10 hours? About how full had you loaded it when you achieved this burn time with the ending temperature, and with what type of wood? I'm curious to know how low and slow this stove can go....

Hi Tegbert, could you help me understand what the stovetop temperature is after 9-10 hours? About how full had you loaded it when you achieved this burn time with the ending temperature, and with what type of wood? I'm curious to know how low and slow this stove can go....

This morning I awoke at about 630 am to a stove temp of about 325. Blower was still running. Was last loaded around 9-930 the night before.

Unfortunately I am using homefire prest logs so it really wasn't loaded full. At about 5 pm I loaded 4 logs to bring the stove up to temp as i let it go out for the day. Around 9 I loaded 3 more and got it up to where I could shut it down.

I'm trying to locate some good seasoned wood to actually see what it can do then as all my wood is still green. Just been really busy lately.

Lopi Rockport

Looking forward to hearing more about your experiences with this stove as you get more experience with it and put some dried cordwood into it.

Reporting back after a very cold winter season here, and had no problems with the stove. The stove did very well, we had a few days in the negatives, one day was -14 Fahrenheit, and the stove kept the house very warm. The fire show for me is more of a quick wispy dance, rather than the normal show you see on YouTube, that could be do to the fact im burning lodgepole. But still nice in its own way, its more a fierce quick burning secondary flame. Someone on craigs list in my area, is selling Western juniper, im gonna try a chord or two of that next seasons and see how that works. I almost never saw smoke, even burning with the air all the way shut down, you never saw any except for startups. Its really quite amazing. One negative most people probably wont think about is the birds getting stuck in the stove. The stove has very small openings from the top of the burn tube to the by pass. The only way to get the bird out is to remove the screw holding the burn tube and removing the tube. I eventually just bought a bird proof cap, those birds loved coming down my chimney. With lodgepole If i went to bed at around 10:30, loaded the stove up there would be coals at 7 when I got up. Overall I love the stove, its looks good, burns good and its good knowing how efficient the stove is. Did anyone else end up getting one, im eager to know what everyone else though of it?

Reactions: begreen
Thanks for the update Matt. Sounds like it has performed well for you. What maintenance did you do over the winter wrt flue sweeping, glass or cat cleaning?

Thanks for the update Matt. Sounds like it has performed well for you. What maintenance did you do over the winter wrt flue sweeping, glass or cat cleaning?
Didn't do too much besides brushing the cat with the supplied brush every 3-4 fires, and vacuuming the cat once. The pipe was swept when the stove was installed, and we usually do it again at the end of this month. I see have one of the the new Alderleas, how did that do this winter?

Our T6 is the original Alderlea. It just completed its 8th season and got a good workout with a chilly winter. We still love it.

I was told by a factory rep at the trade show that the Rockport was "a traditional cast iron stove" when I questioned it. We got our display in and it's clearly not a cast iron stove. It's a cast iron clad stove with a welded steel firebox. But yet they still will not admit the Castings had problems on the Cod...
The Rockport is a huge improvement over the Cape Cod. I like the way its built.

Reporting back after a very cold winter season here, and had no problems with the stove. The stove did very well, we had a few days in the negatives, one day was -14 Fahrenheit, and the stove kept the house very warm. The fire show for me is more of a quick wispy dance, rather than the normal show you see on YouTube, that could be do to the fact im burning lodgepole. But still nice in its own way, its more a fierce quick burning secondary flame. Someone on craigs list in my area, is selling Western juniper, im gonna try a chord or two of that next seasons and see how that works. I almost never saw smoke, even burning with the air all the way shut down, you never saw any except for startups. Its really quite amazing. One negative most people probably wont think about is the birds getting stuck in the stove. The stove has very small openings from the top of the burn tube to the by pass. The only way to get the bird out is to remove the screw holding the burn tube and removing the tube. I eventually just bought a bird proof cap, those birds loved coming down my chimney. With lodgepole If i went to bed at around 10:30, loaded the stove up there would be coals at 7 when I got up. Overall I love the stove, its looks good, burns good and its good knowing how efficient the stove is. Did anyone else end up getting one, im eager to know what everyone else though of it?

As you probably know we have one and I really enjoy it. Only had one manufacturer defect but that was remedied easily as stated below.

Might be too much for our house as it easily reaches 80-83 in the stove room on low with the fan on and 74 ish in the bedrooms down the hall but it's better than being cold.

On ours we cleaned the glass a few times early on in the winter and like Matt swept the cat face a every so often and early January I ran a brush down the flue. We had a little bit of build up but I suspect that it and the extremely dirty glass was trying to figure out exactly how to operate it and the first two weeks having wet wood. Once we learned what to do and went to north Idaho energy logs the glass stayed mostly clean or cleaned up on reloads. Have about 6.5 to 7 cords drying for next year so that will be nice to use instead of the logs.

Need to get a flexible tube to attach to my vacuum to clean behind the cat easier after brushing it as even with the bypass open it likes to accumulate behind the cat.

I was told by a factory rep at the trade show that the Rockport was "a traditional cast iron stove" when I questioned it. We got our display in and it's clearly not a cast iron stove. It's a cast iron clad stove with a welded steel firebox. But yet they still will not admit the Castings had problems on the Cod...

I know they had an issue with the cod door as per a dealer nearby and what you have said about yours and thought they had another issue with the rockport too.

During one of my warm winter day cleanings I did a dollar bill test and found the upper right side of the arch seal would easily pass a bill through it.

Called the installer and they came out and verified it and called lopi. They said replace the door. So we got a new door installed and it seals like it should now. I believe the door was always like that but reading about your experiences I wasn't expecting them to replace the door at first but they did.

My only complaint is I wish the door would open on the opposite side.

Lopi Rockport

Interesting, ya after reading the reviews on the cape cod and hearing the horror stories, guess im glad they did this.

On ours we cleaned the glass a few times early on in the winter and like Matt swept the cat face a every so often and early January I ran a brush down the flue. We had a little bit of build up but I suspect that it and the extremely dirty glass was trying to figure out exactly how to operate it and the first two weeks having wet wood. Once we learned what to do and went to north Idaho energy logs the glass stayed mostly clean or cleaned up on reloads. Have about 6.5 to 7 cords drying for next year so that will be nice to use instead of the logs.

Lopi Rockport

The woodcutter we buy from always seems to get us very dry wood, 7-8 percent moisture. And the glass always stays very clean unless burning very low for a while. But upon the next fire it always burns off. I bet the dry wood will really help with that for sure. What type of wood are you burning?

Interesting, ya after reading the reviews on the cape cod and hearing the horror stories, guess im glad they did this.

The woodcutter we buy from always seems to get us very dry wood, 7-8 percent moisture. And the glass always stays very clean unless burning very low for a while. But upon the next fire it always burns off. I bet the dry wood will really help with that for sure. What type of wood are you burning?

Yeah we just bought this house so we had no wood at all had to start from scratch. Got wood from two people which won't be ready till next season. Mainly alder some fir. Had some trees cut down on the property for aesthetics's reasons but that is hemlock and pine. Not the best but it's btus. Need to get a permit and scrounge some better wood.

We used energy logs the rest of the winter after I figured out that the wood wasn't ready.

Lopi Rockport

Last edited by a moderator:
O wow, the dealer here sells them for 2750, with all the equipment and installation its was 3500. Not very familiar with your neck of the woods, but is there any Australian companies that make stoves? It must be that expensive because of shipping im guessing. I live in Oregon so im very pretty close to the factory.

mattdc123, I wanted to ask how the Rockport is doing, are you happy wth it? Also, could you let me know the store you got it from. $2700 is a good price. I've just been quoted $3962+Tax (not including shipping delivery or any options). It might be better for me to get it from your dealers and they could ship it to me.

Thanks

mattdc123, I wanted to ask how the Rockport is doing, are you happy wth it? Also, could you let me know the store you got it from. $2700 is a good price. I've just been quoted $3962+Tax (not including shipping delivery or any options). It might be better for me to get it from your dealers and they could ship it to me.

Thanks
Its been doing excellent, very Happy with it. I bought it from Orley's. There is one in Medford, and one in Klamath Falls, probably wont matter, but give it a shot. Good luck.

Reactions: Jacklumber
Thanks mattdc123,

I was gobsmacked when Buck Stoves gave me that $4k price. I found another Lopi dealer who thankfully gave me a quote that was more like your one ($2714.05 plus freight and tax), but really, BS quoting me $1200 - they must have seen me coming or what! The better quote didn't include the fan though which is another $326 and outside air kit another $72. Does that sound about right? Tegbert was saying his fan was a bit noisy, but maybe on low it's OK. Will be getting my permits in order this week. Was thinking of passing on the fan though, and using one of those convection fans that sits on the top and spins with the rising heat current. Can't imagine those would push much heat though.

Thanks mattdc123,

I was gobsmacked when Buck Stoves gave me that $4k price. I found another Lopi dealer who thankfully gave me a quote that was more like your one ($2714.05 plus freight and tax), but really, BS quoting me $1200 - they must have seen me coming or what! The better quote didn't include the fan though which is another $326 and outside air kit another $72. Does that sound about right? Tegbert was saying his fan was a bit noisy, but maybe on low it's OK. Will be getting my permits in order this week. Was thinking of passing on the fan though, and using one of those convection fans that sits on the top and spins with the rising heat current. Can't imagine those would push much heat though.
Sorry, I can't find the bill, but off the top of my head that sounds right. I called a while back to get a quote on the blower and that price also sounds right. My house is small enough that the eco fan works perfect and it's very quiet. Those run a 100 bucks or so, I'd give it a try.

Hi Mattdc123, thanks for posting your experiences. I am debating getting the Rockport in my new home. The house is 1900 sq ft but is two levels. The living room where the stove would be is open to the kitchen and dining room but the living room itself is small compared to the size of the house. We will probably be sitting about six feet from the stove because of this. So... in your experience, will we be overheating in the living room? There is a stairway about 5 feet from the stove around a corner. Not sure if some/most will head up there. Can you describe your setup as far as square footage and location of the stove?