Pulled the trigger on a Lopi Large Flush Insert....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hoot

Burning Hunk
Jan 6, 2012
Ben Wheeler, TX
I pulled the trigger on a Lopi Large Flush Insert.
I did a very detailed measurement to be sure it would fit.
The Superior fortunately has a 12" diameter chimney inlet that tapers down to 8" where the straight sections connect.
My measurements... using a plumb bob and a tape measure has me at 3/4" interference of the Lopi 6" outlet to the front edge of the 12" opening of the Superior.
But fortunately I have 5" of height from the top of the Lopi to the front edge of the flue opening.
I'll be using a custom 6" Integrity Super Starter fitting that has a 30 deg angle to it.
This cool fitting allows you to install it on the end of the liner prior to installing the stove.
Once the stove is in, you simply reach up inside, pull it through, put some fireplace cement around it, open the swinging retention tabs and push it up flush with the ceiling of the stove.
The 30 deg angle will take care of the 3/4" interference.
Lopi actually advises in the manual to use this fitting for tight installs.
Went with a pre-insulated liner. It is 7-1/2" outside diameter so it will fit nicely down the 8" flue.
For the cap.. since it's reducing from the 8" air cooled flue on the roof, I went with a copper Vacu-Stack with screen.
They are good for windy locations which we have here in Texas.

1704570362173.png 1704570381863.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Slimdusty
Picked the stove up the other day. Lopi gives you some nice things to help with your start in burning.
They included a wood moisture meter, a digital temperature readout for the CAT. There is a pre-installed thermocouple that reads CAT temp. They also provide a specially designed brush for brushing off the face of the combustor.

And so the interesting part of this install is that it's going into a Superior WRT3042RS Zero Clearance fireplace.
Lopi just changed over for the 2023 and on versions that have a hybrid air tube and CAT system.
Trying not to make this too complicated with respect to instructions and recommendations from Lopi and Superior, here is what I found.

On the Lopi website they have manuals available for both pre-2023 and the post 2023 models.
The pre-2023 called the NexGen-Fyre which I understand had a combustor but not catalytic. (No longer produced)
Post 2023 model is called NexGen-Hybrid with catalytic combustor. (They actually began producing them in 2023)

Now the older non-hybrid owners manual download from the Lopi site references ZC fireplace compatibility with Superior on the list
The new hybrid owners manual download they removed any reference to ZC fireplaces.

Here is the kicker.... The physical manual that came with this new stove... and it is titled NexGen-Hybrid, has all of the references and instructions for a ZC fireplace.
I called Travis Industries

The answer is - "when the stove was built". If it was built before Jan 1 2024, it is authorized to be installed in a ZC
After the first of the year it is not. Same exact stove.

Reason has to do with revised listing requirements that took effect in 2024 that requires re-testing because of the design change, which was only adding catalytic material on the combustor.

And so basically there are two different owners manuals for the same stove. One for units built before 1/1/2024 and one for units built after.... exact same stove.

On a side note, these 2023 and up models qualify for a 30% Energy Tax Credit which applies to the stove and pretty much everything involved with the install, up to $2000. So we are looking at saving $2k directly at tax time.

Last edited:
Reactions: yuryk
It looks like I will be disassembling and removing everything I can inside.
Reason is you need full access to the flue hole so you can reach up and pull the liner/fitting down into the stove, flip the tabs out and cement the gap. I'll also be removing the door and all of the fire brick. Makes the stove a bit lighter to handle also.
This is a one man operation installing a 450lb stove. I'll be raising it to hearth level with stacked 2x4's alternating back and forth until I'm just above hearth level (21"). Nice feature on this stove is it has rollers on the back.

Got everything I need to start the install.
Today I cleaned the Superior ZC, removed unnecessary sheetmetal, cleaned the flue.
I'm going to lay a piece of steel plate on the base refractory to spread the load of the weight and have steel for the leveling screws to push off of.
Next I need to drill through the stone into the ZC for the high heat electrical connection kit at the rear.
It's gonna be a really tight install. Only working with an inch from the top of the stove to the top of the opening.

20240117_171813.jpg 20240117_171820.jpg 20240117_171832.jpg

I put a 3/8" steel plate on the floor of the fireplace. Two reasons.
1) Floor of the inside of the fireplace is about 3/8" lover than the front lip.
2) Spread the load and have a solid surface for the leveling screws.
20240118_145023.jpg
20240118_153340.jpg

20240119_171845.jpg

What kind of liner did you use for the install? Missed it in the posts .

Hey, did you buy it locally ot online? What was the price? I used

What about the liner? How much was it? Thanks.

I think this is the wood insert im going to buy (lopi next gen hybrid). How long is the electrical cord? I want to run it through my chimney into my basement for power. Would require a hole being drilled in the masonry. I saw in the manual you can switch the electrical cord to either side. Did you do that? How much length does the cord have?

Also, when you get the fire going I’d love to know how hot it is. I’m worried the large might burn me out, and im considering a medium size. I have an open fireplace right now and I can get that cranking hot. I’m wondering is it similar heat or like 10x of that.

Reactions: hoot
I think this is the wood insert im going to buy (lopi next gen hybrid). How long is the electrical cord? I want to run it through my chimney into my basement for power. Would require a hole being drilled in the masonry. I saw in the manual you can switch the electrical cord to either side. Did you do that? How much length does the cord have?

Also, when you get the fire going I’d love to know how hot it is. I’m worried the large might burn me out, and im considering a medium size. I have an open fireplace right now and I can get that cranking hot. I’m wondering is it similar heat or like 10x of that.
To go through masonry don't use the supplied standard power cord. They sell a high temp kit that's 10ft long. It uses specially insulated conductors inside a metal jacketed sheath that is 10 ft long. I think it's $130 for the kit. A bit overpriced but worth it for the safety of factory components.
Yes I did change sides. Lopi does a nice job by having holes and connectors on both sides. There is a molex plug that the standard cord is already attached to. You unplug it and take the molex cap off the other side and plug that cap in the side you unplugged.
It hasn't been real cold since I finished the install but it cranks out a ton of heat. Way way more than the open fireplace it replaced.
This was my first day of burning.

To go through masonry don't use the supplied standard power cord. They sell a high temp kit that's 10ft long. It uses specially insulated conductors inside a metal jacketed sheath that is 10 ft long. I think it's $130 for the kit. A bit overpriced but worth it for the safety of factory components.
Yes I did change sides. Lopi does a nice job by having holes and connectors on both sides. There is a molex plug that the standard cord is already attached to. You unplug it and take the molex cap off the other side and plug that cap in the side you unplugged.
It hasn't been real cold since I finished the install but it cranks out a ton of heat. Way way more than the open fireplace it replaced.
This was my first day of burning.

Good to know I’ll grab a high temp kit. I looked at them before But I don’t want it to be hard wired. I’ll have to add a plug to it.

Insert is looking good. Does it burn you out of the room? Like too hot? Does the heat output come down if you close off the air and lower the fan to a slow speed?

Haven't been using it long enough. It's 72 deg today here in East Texas
Damn okay. Well if you do get a chance to use it and test it some, report back here if you don’t mind. Would like a hands on feedback. I’m in a more mild climate in Virginia too so wondering if the large is excessive.

Damn okay. Well if you do get a chance to use it and test it some, report back here if you don’t mind. Would like a hands on feedback. I’m in a more mild climate in Virginia too so wondering if the large is excessive.
I can report so far when I first started burning the heat was great. Way more than the open fireplace.

Reactions: Striped_zebra