Pulled the trigger on Lopi Rockport

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hi Mattdc123, thanks for posting your experiences. I am debating getting the Rockport in my new home. The house is 1900 sq ft but is two levels. The living room where the stove would be is open to the kitchen and dining room but the living room itself is small compared to the size of the house. We will probably be sitting about six feet from the stove because of this. So... in your experience, will we be overheating in the living room? There is a stairway about 5 feet from the stove around a corner. Not sure if some/most will head up there. Can you describe your setup as far as square footage and location of the stove?
Sorry, I'm so bad with envisioning setups, lol. My trailer is about 1200 sq ft, but the back bed rooms I usually run a curtain to avoid hearing them. My stove is in the kitchen/living room, and it will get hot in there if I run wide open. Hopefully someone with more experience can help. Also I have a mobile home with a second roof over the top so it really holds the heat well. Try asking the a dealer they might b able to give a good answer

Hi Mattdc123, thanks for posting your experiences. I am debating getting the Rockport in my new home. The house is 1900 sq ft but is two levels. The living room where the stove would be is open to the kitchen and dining room but the living room itself is small compared to the size of the house. We will probably be sitting about six feet from the stove because of this. So... in your experience, will we be overheating in the living room? There is a stairway about 5 feet from the stove around a corner. Not sure if some/most will head up there. Can you describe your setup as far as square footage and location of the stove?

I have a 1899 square foot house but on one story. Stove is located centrally on the other side of our kitchen. I can keep the heat in the center of the house at about 75 on low and without the fan on and still keep the bedrooms at around 71 with the doors open. I find that once I reload after it’s been running that the stove room will get up to 80 and bedrooms around 73-75. A little too warm but better than using the baseboards. The other half of the house stays cooler most likely because of the open fireplace in the adjacent room but that will soon be a bk ashford 25 and the rec room which was a garage probably doesn’t have much insulation in it. Granted this is with outside temps around 45. The few nights it has dipped to 32 the house is pretty consistent at 71 or so. Also our ceiling height is only 8 ft so if yours is taller it should be more bearable.

I also don’t use the fans much because of the location of the stove It just doesn’t convect really well so in my house it only comes on when the house is cold and use it to quickly heat up the living room. I have a chair about 6’ in front of it that I sit in even when the room reaches 80 I find it still bearable and I hate the heat I’m a winter guy.

Some of the heat might go up the stairs but it is hard to say I guess it depends on how open the stairs are and what not.

Lopi Rockport

I have a 1899 square foot house but on one story. Stove is located centrally on the other side of our kitchen. I can keep the heat in the center of the house at about 75 on low and without the fan on and still keep the bedrooms at around 71 with the doors open. I find that once I reload after it’s been running that the stove room will get up to 80 and bedrooms around 73-75. A little too warm but better than using the baseboards. The other half of the house stays cooler most likely because of the open fireplace in the adjacent room but that will soon be a bk ashford 25 and the rec room which was a garage probably doesn’t have much insulation in it. Granted this is with outside temps around 45. The few nights it has dipped to 32 the house is pretty consistent at 71 or so. Also our ceiling height is only 8 ft so if yours is taller it should be more bearable.

I also don’t use the fans much because of the location of the stove It just doesn’t convect really well so in my house it only comes on when the house is cold and use it to quickly heat up the living room. I have a chair about 6’ in front of it that I sit in even when the room reaches 80 I find it still bearable and I hate the heat I’m a winter guy.

Some of the heat might go up the stairs but it is hard to say I guess it depends on how open the stairs are and what not.
Sorry, I'm so bad with envisioning setups, lol. My trailer is about 1200 sq ft, but the back bed rooms I usually run a curtain to avoid hearing them. My stove is in the kitchen/living room, and it will get hot in there if I run wide open. Hopefully someone with more experience can help. Also I have a mobile home with a second roof over the top so it really holds the heat well. Try asking the a dealer they might b able to give a good answer
Thank you so much for replying! So helpful!

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you, this is so helpful. We went ahead and chose the Rockport! Can't wait!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all, we are considering a Lopi Rockport to replace our older stove. I’m checking in with Rockport owners here to see how everything is working out for you with your stoves. Still happy? Any suggestions? Thanks!

So far I only had one problem i discuss in another thread. The convection chamber beneath the stove top would glow red with the air dampered all the way. I only noticed it when the room was dark. I asked the local dealer and they said it was fine as long as i didn't notice the stove doing anything else weird. Since then Ive been reloading on a cooler stove and all has been good. The efficiency of the stove is very nice, just a little tricky to control. Let us know what you end up getting.

@webby3650 sells and services them
We haven’t sold very many. There’s so many other options for less money, folks don’t seem drawn to it. Honestly, I guess if we don’t show a ton of confidence in the product then that sways a persons decision too. I’m never on the sales floor, but what we see in the field and how Travis Industries has handled warranties, we don’t push their hybrid products too much.

We haven’t sold very many. There’s so many other options for less money, folks don’t seem drawn to it. Honestly, I guess if we don’t show a ton of confidence in the product then that sways a persons decision too. I’m never on the sales floor, but what we see in the field and how Travis Industries has handled warranties, we don’t push their hybrid products too much.
Speaking of that, travis still hasnt responded to my call i made a few weeks back, i suppose they never will.

Yes, I should have said installs and services them.

What do you mean when you say what you see in the field? Between them not taking care of warranties properly, in your experience, and them not returning calls from customers, than I’m not sure how confident I would be in recommending them either.

Should I avoid the Rockport and look for something else?

Speaking of that, travis still hasnt responded to my call i made a few weeks back, i suppose they never will.
If their customer service is lacking one has to wonder what else is lacking, and how long they will support these hybrid stoves with replacement parts in the future.

I’m all about good customer service and building relationships. If those are concerns from experienced individuals like yourselves, I’m certainly going to be concerned as someone who has never dealt with Travis Industries. I’m just not familiar enough with their brand to have any loyalty to them either way.

If you are considering a cat stove look at Woodstock and Blaze King. If you are looking for a castiron clad, cat stove, then the Blaze King Ashford is current the best option.

Reactions: Woody Stover
If you are considering a cat stove look at Woodstock and Blaze King. If you are looking for a castiron clad, cat stove, then the Blaze King Ashford is current the best option.
Those Blaze Kings look amazing but unfortunately they don’t fit our hearth. They require more clearance than we currently have available, and we do not want to add to our hearth. I’ll peek at Woodstock clearances, but it’s not a brand our local dealer carries, at least not without special ordering.

That’s because they only seem to answer to the dealers. I got a hold of someone there once and they immediately said to talk to my dealer. Wouldn’t even entertain me for a few minutes. I even sent an email and no response back.

What do you mean when you say what you see in the field? Between them not taking care of warranties properly, in your experience, and them not returning calls from customers, than I’m not sure how confident I would be in recommending them either.

Should I avoid the Rockport and look for something else?

I have had two warranty works done on my rockport. Never had an issue with it getting done either. Now I don’t know if the installers are getting or have to fight for their reimbursement or what but on my end it was smooth. First time was a complete door replacement as it wasn’t sealing right in a corner and this last time was a new door gasket and combustor as the other one had almost completely crumbled.

Those Blaze Kings look amazing but unfortunately they don’t fit our hearth. They require more clearance than we currently have available, and we do not want to add to our hearth. I’ll peek at Woodstock clearances, but it’s not a brand our local dealer carries, at least not without special ordering.

Woodstock doesn’t have dealers you order directly from them. I’m sure your dealer could do it for you but I bet it would cost more.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

Woodstock stoves are sold direct, there is no dealer network. The factory support however is excellent. Unfortunately the clearances are often high and there is no blower option.

Quadrafire dealers in your area:

Wrights Hearth Heat & Home
2614 Hendersonville Road
Arden, NC 28704
828-684-1535

Pisgah Insulation & Fireplace
5120 Old Haywood Road
Mills River, NC 28759
828-883-4003

Buchanan LP Gas Co.
539 Highway 25 North
Travelers Rest, SC 29690
864-834-5226

Now I don’t know if the installers are getting or have to fight for their reimbursement or what but on my end it was smooth.
We have an insert sitting in our warehouse that had a warped part that wasn’t removable, Travis ind said to hammer it back flat... of course that’s not acceptable on a new stove. We replaced it out of pocket, the old one has been out there on a skid for about 2 years, Lopi has yet to reimburse us. It’s pretty sad. They make a solid product, if you do have an issue though, better hope you’ve got a great dealer, otherwise you’re on your own.

We have an insert sitting in our warehouse that had a warped part that wasn’t removable... of course that’s not acceptable on a new stove.
Warped part on a new stove? How does that happen?

Warped part on a new stove? How does that happen?
Don’t know. The mesh that covers the air wash looked different than our other Freedom bays, I think it warped because it was welded in wrong. That wouldn’t own it though.

We have joined the Lopi Rockport owners’ club. This is our first season with the stove and we are still experimenting with what works best for our new heat source. Time will tell, but so far we are happy with our decision.

I have had the Lopi Rockport for 3 yrs now. I'd say we're very happy with it. Purchased during a tax rebate year & got $800 back in state rebates (really nice)!

It took a little to figure out how to maximize the efficiency for the catalyst, but worth it.

Make sure to put a stove thermometer on the top heat plate, which you should with all stoves anyway. Once you get the fire up to about 500 F, start utilizing the catalyst. I use the thermocouple (which comes with the stove) to get the initial temp at startup & then use the stove top thermometer the rest of the night. You will almost always see the temps jump 200F and know that the catalyst is working, which means you are getting more heat & can start cutting back the air supply & making the wood last longer. The catalyst has reduced the amount of wood we use by a lot, maybe 10-20%, maybe more.

We have a 2500 sf house, with 1250 sf per floor. The way the house is layed out, the main rooms with the stove will be 75-77 F, pretty cozy for quite a drafty house. We could get it really hot but this is what works to keep the upstairs at the temp we sleep at. The upstairs will be 68F. Outside temps around 28 F & our house is pretty drafty.

We installed the outside air intake. This is a must if you really want to maximize energy/warmth. Pay the extra money to have it done. If you have already had the stove installed without it, you can still do it. if you don't you will always be pulling air from your house to feed the fire, fresh air will be drafted into the house, and you will have colder spots & drafts.

Do not bother with the expensive circulating fan. The stove will radiate plenty of heat & the fan doesn't really add any additional warming (maybe when first lighting up) & it is really expensive.

The ash pan is a waste. We don't even clean it except at the end of the season. You want to keep a bed of ashes in your stove, which help extends burns & easy startups the next day from residual coals. If you constantly empty & brush ash down, you are effectively cutting down on your efficiency.

You do have to occasionally clean the catalyst b/c it will plug up with fly ash, so just carefully pull it out, clean, & replace once in a while. We first noticed when we were not getting a increased burn temp when closing the bypass damper & just realized the catalyst was getting plugged. The insulation around the catalyst will fall apart, but it doesn't matter. Be careful when removing the catalyst & don't let the pieces fall out when you are taking it out to clean.

Happy burning!

The insulation around the catalyst will fall apart, but it doesn't matter.!
Is that an interam gasket? If so, you need a new one on there when re-installing to keep smoke from getting past the cat
Be careful when removing the catalyst & don't let the pieces fall out when you are taking it out to clean.
Ceramic cat was crumbled?

When I was removing the catalyst, the center block fell out to the floor & cracked into three pieces. They fit back together like a puzzle, so I put it together & reinstalled it with the cracks.

As for the gasket, there would be minimal smoke going around the catalyst & there isn't a need to replace it.

When I was removing the catalyst, the center block fell out to the floor & cracked into three pieces. They fit back together like a puzzle, so I put it together & reinstalled it with the cracks.

As for the gasket, there would be minimal smoke going around the catalyst & there isn't a need to replace it.
The gasket should be replaced if the cat has been removed.

The gasket should be replaced if the cat has been removed.
Yeah, the gasket also insulates nearby parts from excessive heat generated by the cat.