Pulled the trigger on Lopi Rockport

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Are Rockport owners still happy? Its one of our options and we got a decent quote for one. How do the flames look? I assume most of the combustion, other than long overnight burns, is taking place in the secondary so it looks nice? How are the cats holding up?

Thanks!

Are Rockport owners still happy? Its one of our options and we got a decent quote for one. How do the flames look? I assume most of the combustion, other than long overnight burns, is taking place in the secondary so it looks nice? How are the cats holding up?

Thanks!

We still love our Lopi Rockport and would recommend this stove.

It puts out great heat and the flames are beautiful to watch.

So far our catalytic appears to be running without any problems, but we’ve only used it for one season so far.

The stove is very efficient and burns through less wood than our old one for an equivalent amount of heat. We are using well seasoned and dry wood. Results may vary based on the moisture content and quality of your wood. We use mostly hard wood, quarter and half splits, with some soft wood thrown in as kindling.

We purchased the optional fan kit and are happy we did that. It does a nice job of cranking out the heat.

The Rockport is a quality stove. We are satisfied we made the right decision for our home.

Last edited:
Hi all,
first time poster.
we got a Lopi Rockport about 4years ago.
My opinions?
In Australia they are really expensive - $5500 installed I think.
They look great, put out good heat once warmed up. Great sized ash pan that’s easy to clean. Door works great & seals, closes positively.
couple of things I dont like are:
The fan at the back of the heater is really loud, we’ve had it adjusted to slow it down more but it’s still annoying. The Cat Convertor flimsy, clogs up, lots of tweaking to keep the cat burning optimally.
The air inlet had to be closed off further so an overnight burn could be achieved.
The burn tube(with all the little holes in it) is sagging down, the strange box at the front of the fire box is rusted/burnt out(salesman at shop doesn’t know what it is, no response from Lopi) I’ve ended up removing it & outing a steel plate over it.
The Cat we’ve given up on & just use the air inlet, flue damper & ashbox door to control the fire which now works mint.
several other parts seem to be burning away already & will need replacing after this season. The little brackets that the baffle rests on - brackets are paper thin now.
I feel I’ll be lucky if we get 10yrs out of this heater.
Would I buy again or recommend a Rockport ?
No.
I could & should have bought an Australian made heater at half the price but the Rockport advertised the long burn time, efficiency etc.

Does anyone know what that little box thing at the front of the firebox is on the Rockport?
what does it do?
My sales/serviceman doesn’t know & Lopi hasn’t got back to him after 4 weeks now.

Does anyone know what that little box thing at the front of the firebox is on the Rockport?
what does it do?
Picture? I'm wondering if this is for boost air?

Picture? I'm wondering if this is for boost air?
Hi Begreen,
This picture shows where it’s located just inside the firebox.
I’ve looked for a parts diagram but Lopi seem very protective of what they share.
I’ll take a photo of the part I removed that is burnt out.

Attachments

• A70D299A-3E27-462E-A7A4-82F7D8ADB6E0.jpeg
    A70D299A-3E27-462E-A7A4-82F7D8ADB6E0.jpeg
    127.9 KB · Views: 156
Definitely burnt out. The front where the hole is was paper thin on the edges & crumbled when I touched it.
The base where it bolts to the heater had that fibre fire seal on it.

Attachments

• 7905DD5F-FBCE-41C1-B4C9-A2D0B0C7F6D4.jpeg
    7905DD5F-FBCE-41C1-B4C9-A2D0B0C7F6D4.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 146
  • 089CDF45-62DC-4461-8164-91322FD4F171.jpeg
    089CDF45-62DC-4461-8164-91322FD4F171.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 152
If it's burnt out it should be replaced under warranty. webby3650 do you recognize this part? Boost air cover?

Looks like the main air supple. I have a Lopi Evergreen. I have the same box at the center front. I believe that is your main air supply.

I would expect the main air supply to be the airwash for the glass.

Definitely burnt out. The front where the hole is was paper thin on the edges & crumbled when I touched it.
The base where it bolts to the heater had that fibre fire seal on it.
Marty,
Spewing to read this as I'm really interested in Cape Cod.
I've looked at the Aussie brands and can't find anything that comes close.
What do you think?