punk rock in house pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
20160115_003441.jpg
20160115_003438.jpg

Reactions: bogieb
Both of my cats would be all over that seemingly bottomless litter box.

Reactions: bogieb
Both of my cats would be all over that seemingly bottomless litter box.

Seriously, wood pellets do make great kitty litter. Pick up a bag of equine pellets from TSC and try it. Nice pine smell and lasts longer than regular kitty litter. You can burn those in your stove, too, but probably before the cats use it.

You can burn those in your stove, too, but probably before the cats use it.

Probably? Sounds like you have some experience in this?

Did a bit of looking around on this...sites say to start gradually introducing the wood pellets into the clay based litter. Then eventually go full tilt pellets.

Next big question of the new year:

Is cat crap compostable?

Never mind...must start new thread so as not to hijack this one.

Its a must try...have a bunch of stove chow, through trial and error it doesn't work well with our englander. ...nothing of a burnt pot of flaming clinkers...sounds perfect for a hot pile of cat s4!+

Its a must try...have a bunch of stove chow, through trial and error it doesn't work well with our englander. ...nothing of a burnt pot of flaming clinkers...sounds perfect for a hot pile of cat

Did a bit of Googling, used wood pellet cat litter is indeed compostable, but every site throws out a cautionary not to use in a vegetable garden or in a children's play area (at least until it has composted for a few years). Good though for ornamentals, trees. I can attest to that, my cat uses the next door neighbors front shrubbery for her needs, they seem to be doing well.

I've got 2 big bins now for the kitchen / garden waste, I'll be setting up another one further from the house for the litter. Should be an interesting endeavor..I don't think I'll be advertising that I'm doing this though. Too much of the "eeewwww" factor in play.

I go for a smaller-sized coal bucket. My pellets have been stored in an unheated pole building; while it doesn't look the greatest, storing the bags like I do helps take some dampness out. Started burning on Columbus Day 2015--I've gone through 4 tons of Turmans--great heat, some fines and some really long pellets but the P68 converts all to toasty-warmth. Now I'll be tapping in to my supply of Barefoots--feel the burn!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0692.JPG
    IMG_0692.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 287
Reactions: Peterfield
Status
Not open for further replies.