Purchased a decade old Hearthstone Equinox and looking for a good parts source and repair guide. =)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bubela

Sep 21, 2008
KoP PA
www.prussianmotors.com
Pretty excited about this one. It's been a few years since I had to move out of the house that I had my Mansfield in. That stove was in nice shape when I bought it. Not sure how it came to be that the inside of this Equinox is so rusty. Is it from burning wet wood?

17359989383438602340.jpg

Wondering if anyone has some insight on what needs to be replaced. I don't think the edges of the stove where the secondary air tubes rest are suppose to look like the second from the right. Are they? Does anyone else have a picture of the inside of their stove? Plan is to freshen this up and install before next winter.

That hose clamp looks suspicious too. Maybe there was a rust through hole there? Was this in a coastal area? Burning driftwood?

Definitely new tubes. Can't see much more from that pic honestly

yeah, never seen a hose clamp in a stove. They must have put some sort of salt or chemical in there. What does the metal look like under it? Can you scrape some off and get clean metal?

The previous owner was near the ocean, perhaps that is part of the reason.

I swept out the rest of the stove and it’s just the top metal frame and tubes that seem to need maintenance. Plenum part # 8 bottom and #13 top have seen better days. One of the air tubes is shot. The other three seem salvageable. I can go over the rest and remove the surface rust.

My business is auto salvage. Is there a salvage yard for used stoves?! If not, I guess I’ll google around to try and source these parts. So far looks like the upper and lower plenum are $550 total and each tube is shy of $100. Adds up quick!

I’ve never worked on an Equinox before. Does the secondary air tube support frame only mount to the back? Seems that the front just barely leans against the wall of the stove. Is that accurate?

Equinox Baffle.jpg

I think I'd try stuffing kaowool into the worn spots with a pic. It doesn't have to be a tight seal.

kaowool is a great idea. I think I'll try that and see how it goes. Looks like this is a someone large job and I've never taken one of these apart. I think the top of the stove has to come apart.

The heritage is very similar but miniature. On my heritage I had that manifold out a few times and the front of that cast secondary manifold rested on cast tabs that were part of the stove front frame. The back sat on a riser tube plus one screw.

Some cast parts have a lifetime warranty from hearthstone. No labor but maybe parts. Worth a call. They were nice.

Yup, the diagram gives me an idea. Just a little scared about taking it apart after seeing the prices on replacement parts. If I broke something while it came apart.. etc. Also, not sure about availability. I've called around and the only place that shows it on there site hasn't responded with availability. =/ I'll just use it as-is and see how it goes.

Sure looks pretty though!

20220203_182544.jpg

I reached out directly to Hearthstone the other day but haven't heard back from them yet either. Included a picture of the damage.

The heritage is very similar but miniature. On my heritage I had that manifold out a few times and the front of that cast secondary manifold rested on cast tabs that were part of the stove front frame. The back sat on a riser tube plus one screw.

Some cast parts have a lifetime warranty from hearthstone. No labor but maybe parts. Worth a call. They were nice.
Just curious if you know what number you called at Hearthstone? I cannot find a number and only see "dealers only" email contact.

Just curious if you know what number you called at Hearthstone? I cannot find a number and only see "dealers only" email contact.
Sorry, it’s been many years.