Put the splitter to work today.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Halligan

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2012
Southeastern Massachusetts
I was luck enough to come into some free sugar maple and pin oak so I fired up the Huskee and went to work. All told I'm guessing 2/3 of a cord was split and stacked today. I have a couple of big rounds that I noodled which still need splitting but all in all it was a good days work.

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 160
That splitter can handle the big rounds if you can move the rounds over to it.

Looks like a good load. Any day working with wood is a good day

Nice work looks like some good wood.

Nice catch of some decent wood, Halligan. I bet your huskee didn't even flinch.

2/3 of a cord S&S (split & stacked) is a good day's in anyone's book.
Hard maple will be some primo wood.

Are you a vertical of horizontal splitter ?
Working with some hard maple boards, I bet it is a little tough to split. ?

The nice picture of the split & stacked maple just didn't make it when
you uploaded the pic of the splitter & rounds :) LOL

I was luck enough to come into some free sugar maple and pin oak so I fired up the Huskee and went to work. All told I'm guessing 2/3 of a cord was split and stacked today. I have a couple of big rounds that I noodled which still need splitting but all in all it was a good days work.

Rather than noodling, can you just roll them over to the splitter and let the splitter do the work?

2/3 of a cord S&S (split & stacked) is a good day's in anyone's book.
Hard maple will be some primo wood.

Are you a vertical of horizontal splitter ?
Working with some hard maple boards, I bet it is a little tough to split. ?

The nice picture of the split & stacked maple just didn't make it when
you uploaded the pic of the splitter & rounds :) LOL

I will split either way depending on the size of the wood. The picture I posted was taken while I was still splitting. I saved the big rounds for last and to be honest I was so tired and sore I had a tough time manhandling the rounds (splitting vertical). The maple split no problem but the pin oak did not split easy (stringy) so to reduce the bulk of the round I noodled them. It was getting late so Ill split them another day.

As for a picture of my stack you'll have to wait until tomorrow. I'm out of room in my yard so this wood was stacked at my inlaws down the street and I didn't take the camera. In the picture you can see the splits in my truck for transport.

I do know one thing, Pin Oak stinks something awful.

For sure there is no doubt what it is when you are cutting it. ;lol

looks like a good day to be doing some splitting

Status
Not open for further replies.