Putting blower cord through fireplace clean out ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nmaho

Jan 15, 2014
Ma
Do you think it is a good idea to put the power cord from insert blower down through fireplace clean out and plug into cellar outlet? Or will it melt?

I haven't run the blower cord DOWN but I have brought the power UP to the firebox thru the clean out.
I have done this a number of times, & can't get a definitive answer from either the code enforcement guys
or electricians, whether it's considered safe or not.
I run BX (armored) cable into the firebox & tapcon a metal box to the floor at the rear of the fireplace. Plug the blower cord into the J-Box to power it...That area is BY FAR the coolest area in the chamber when a fire is burning. To date, NO ISSUES have arisen, or at least NONE that have been reported back to the company that I worked for.

I had my insert power cord run exactly as you describe with no issues.

Just wired mine the same way a few weeks ago.

When my installer did our Regency I3100, he told me the outlet that was there from the gas FP was only good for a gas appliance, it was not OK for a wood burning insert as per code in Ontario.. It was bx with a heavy metal box etc. I had to remove the outlet before he would install the insert.

I've been running it that way for 5 years now with no issues. I did however, add a single plug surge protector just to be safe in the beginning and it has never tripped off.

Do you think it is a good idea to put the power cord from insert blower down through fireplace clean out and plug into cellar outlet? Or will it melt?

This is definitely against NEC code. I will try to find the section. Running BX up to a box as Daksy said might be O.K.

Status
Not open for further replies.