Putting cold air returns in the main floor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nash’s said:
My vertical bracket's are cut just above the stove and lock washers and wing nuts allow it to pivot straight above the stove. It stays in place above with just a compression fit i.e the bracket's are the same width as the duct and the hangers have just enough side to side flex to allow the box to fit and stay nice and snug. Best part is its a one man gig...don't need anyone there to hold anything
Thanks for your comments

Thanks for the pics Jeff. That is an interesting approach. I installed a Y pipe further down in my ductwork to branch to the two registers. In the Y pipe I installed 2 dampers to control air flow to each room. See 1st pic.

Also the home depot fan you put into the ductwork works great!! see pic 2

Register temp is 150 degrees F when stove is set to 3 !!! See pic 3

So I got one swing away pipe hooked to the stove. See pic 4
There is a rope around the yellow pole so I can swing the pipe away and tie it to the pole and then open the door for cleaning!

Speed control and fan switch. (Top switch connects fan to Thermostat, bottom switch turns fan on manually) See pic 5

Attachments

• PS2PelletStoveAutoHeatDistribution 004sc.jpg
    PS2PelletStoveAutoHeatDistribution 004sc.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 285
  • PS2PelletStoveAutoHeatDistribution 006sc.jpg
    PS2PelletStoveAutoHeatDistribution 006sc.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 283
  • PS2PelletStoveAutoHeatDistribution 290sc.jpg
    PS2PelletStoveAutoHeatDistribution 290sc.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 281
  • PS2PelletStoveAutoHeatDistribution 260sc.jpg
    PS2PelletStoveAutoHeatDistribution 260sc.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 287
  • PS2PelletStoveAutoHeatDistribution 050sc.jpg
    PS2PelletStoveAutoHeatDistribution 050sc.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 274
Hey Don,
thanks for looking. I like the fan Idea and the Y pipe. Looks like it works real well from the temp readings. I have a bunch of stuff in the way of getting to serious right now so I figure the dryer hose was going to be the easiest way to work around all the crap and get what I need done the fastest with the least expense. Now I can take it all apart when I'm ready and make it more permanent when the time comes. I then could do something like what you and others have done with real duct and fans.
I bought the house 4 years ago and the guy that owned it before me was....lets just say he thinks different then me, so I have a ton of walls to take down and refirb to do before I can make anything permanent. I have a breeze way to finish before I can get to serious about the cellar and a gable wall to tare out. You know the drill. It never ends but that's what makes men...men I guess...lol. ;-)

Nash’s said:
Hey Don,
thanks for looking. I like the fan Idea and the Y pipe. Looks like it works real well from the temp readings. I have a bunch of stuff in the way of getting to serious right now so I figure the dryer hose was going to be the easiest way to work around all the crap and get what I need done the fastest with the least expense. Now I can take it all apart when I'm ready and make it more permanent when the time comes. I then could do something like what you and others have done with real duct and fans.
I bought the house 4 years ago and the guy that owned it before me was....lets just say he thinks different then me, so I have a ton of walls to take down and refirb to do before I can make anything permanent. I have a breeze way to finish before I can get to serious about the cellar and a gable wall to tare out. You know the drill. It never ends but that's what makes men...men I guess...lol. ;-)

Hi Jeff

Yes I know what you mean but it is good to hear you got it going and it works good for now.

I just had to put in an automatic system for 2 neighbors to keep their pipes from freezing!
See lates pics and detail - click on link below
http://tinyurl.com/67f2hst

Wow,
I thought I had it bad in my cellar. It looks like all his plumbing was an after thought. All in a days work...lol. Its good to know people with the ability to think and act on different matters. Some would just let the pipes freeze and call a plumber when the pipes let go and then cry about cost. An ounce of prevention is defiantly worth a pound of cure.
Looks like you saved these people from what could be a real bad day

Jeff

Well I figured I would up date on my stoves performance
All was well with temps this morning. Right where I wanted them. Upstairs was 69 degrees and the cellar was 71. It would seem the system is well ballance as far as temps are concerned. It has kept a consistent 2-3 degree difference between up and down. I only put 1 trunk down stairs so I think thats pretty good for a 40,000btu stove rated for 1500 to 1800 square feet. Its heating the whole house and temps have been pretty normal for winter here in southern maine. The real test will be when we get some sub zero weather. I think it will be ok though because before I put the ducting in and was just heating the basement it was keeping it 66 to 68 just with the heat rising upstairs and we had some pretty cold nights.
I have burnt 12 bags to date including what is in the hopper right now,which will last until bed time. I did the math and I am averaging 1.3 bags a day so I cant complain about that. $45 for the last 9 days in pellets or $153 in oil.....

I love this stove

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.